Author Topic: removing tape gum?  (Read 10120 times)

Offline allrawpaul

• I'm a llama!
removing tape gum?
« on: August 13, 2005, 06:01:44 AM »
The sun baked my 3M painters tape onto vinyl windows. Very bummed.  How do I get the cruddy gum off?  Thanks very much! Adios, Paul. Also, what tape do you use to avoid this gummy problem?  Have used blue, but it has a tendency to not stick tight enough.  

Offline captmorgan

• I'm a llama!
Re:removing tape gum?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 07:20:24 AM »
The orange Goo-be-gone seems to cut most sticky stuf from tape and such. Lowes and wal-mart also sell Crud Cutter. That works on about everything you can imagine.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 10:47:43 AM »
The best (cheapest) tape adhesive remover I've come across is good old mineral spirits (oil paint thinner). Get the adhesive wet for a minute and then wipe it off--It may take a little elbow grease if it's been on there for a very long time, but I've never been unable to neatly remove white tape, blue tape, scotch tape or duct tape adhesive when using mineral spirits...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 02:42:45 PM »
Try denatured alcohol You can pick it up at almost any hardware or paint store.

Keep it on the truck to test for paint type. The denatured alcohol rubbed on with a rag will melt dried latex paint rapidly, but will not affect an alkyd paint.

rmichael   pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 04:53:01 PM »
Also, what tape do you use to avoid this gummy problem?  Have used blue, but it has a tendency to not stick tight enough.  

Oops, didn't catch this the first time around...I've always told my laborers, "Masking tape is pressure sensitive, the harder you press, the better the bond"...The blue (14 day) tape works fine in most applications if you remember to use some pressure when applying it. The white tape is the same, the more pressure you apply to it, the better it will stick. My guys had this awful habit of "tacking" the tape on without applying enough pressure, then would spend time cleaning up where the tape either bled or blew off during spraying. I have a part-time partner who's been in the business for 15 years and still doesn't get the concept...

Offline Demon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 12:48:01 AM »
to the problem raised......
We've tried almost every tape possible sold at "General Paint", nothing seems to help..... the problem we have is that when we edge the wall on the border with the ceiling, part of the ceiling paint comes off with the tape:(
Any suggestions? comments?
Thanks.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 04:59:51 PM »
Demon, if you're spraying, try a spray shield, available at most paint outlets in a variety of sizes...Some touchup may be neccessary, but that's better than pulling off chunks of paint.

You can simply lightly tack the tape on, then spray very thin, light coats around the perimeter of the ceiling to avoid bleed.

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
I have a part-time partner who's been in the business for 15 years and still doesn't get the concept...

I just quit my job in part because my boss and employees are like this. What is it with people like this? Im slowly getting the feeling people like this don't have experience thinking about whats happening in a particular situation at a microscopic level?
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.