Author Topic: fine woodwork painting.  (Read 7944 times)

Demon

fine woodwork painting.
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:39:18 AM »
Hello, everyone!
I have a question in regards to a high-end jobs. I've seen once the wooden doors, baseboards and crown mouldings painted by one of the very expensive painting companies. After the product was done it looked like a mirror, no small scratches, no roller or brush traces. It looked awesome.... The only thing I know about the technology is that they've used spraying machine for oil painting. However, I've heard that painters were using some automotive filler before first coat of paint...
Can you share your knowledge about the technology? I'm looking for a woodwork in particular. Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
Thank you.

the PAINTSMITH

Re:fine woodwork painting.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »
They may be using an HVLP (high Volume, Low Pressure) rig, the new-age replacement for compressed-air cup guns. A lot of the painters I know have switched to PPG automotive paints for high-end work. A good HVLP can cost you, though...

...A lot of this kind of finish work is done in a shop instead of onsite. Dunno anyone using Bondo to fill grain and scratches though...Good old cabinet makers' grain filler has always worked for me, though I use Crawford's Painters' Putty for nail holes.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Flying this Spruce Goose
    • painterforum
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 05:59:23 PM »
I believe that the Paintsmith has it right.. sounds like HVLP work.
However, I believe that Leaning to apply a great finish with traditional tools is the true mark of a Craftsman. This requires knowledge, experience and a developed skill. Pulling the trigger on a HVLP is fine but it can never replace the hands on feel that a house painting Craftsman can bring to the job.

admin  propainter
I am a webmaster in the tradition of Howard Hughes, I fly this Spruce Goose of a website through cyberspace by the seat of my pants and I usually manage to keep her just above the water, but every now and then I get a wet ass. Let me know if you feel a shudder.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 03:05:57 PM »
I suspect the trim was sprayed with a "High build" primer and finished off with an Auto paint or an industrial enamel. The High Build primer will level out most small imperfections, but I agree with Admin, master the brush first.

rmichael   pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything