Author Topic: Cabinet refinishing  (Read 15732 times)

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
Cabinet refinishing
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
here are some doors I recently sprayed. I used a simple rustoleum black satin enamel over 4 coats of primer. I thinned the paint maybe 30% or so and shot it at 35psi through a 2mm tip. I toyed with the idea of distressing them but screw it. This is all she gets!  ;D 

to fill the pores of the honey oak, I simply thinned Elmer's high strength wood filler to the consistency of a latex ppaint or so, then applied it by brush, and then sanded it by hand. The pores weren't perfectly filled, but they're magnitudes better. Next time I might try using that putty you see in lowe's, with the picture of the tough guy on the label. Name? Or any ideas on how to fill pores without getting too time consuming?

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Cabinet refinishing
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:09:11 PM »
Great looking job.   :)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Jared

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:15:27 PM »
Next time I might try using that putty you see in lowe's, with the picture of the tough guy on the label. Name?

Nope, you do NOT want to use Durham's Water Putty for grain filling.

Ever used "Fix-It-All" to repair damaged wood?  Durham's has a very similar consistency.  Dries VERY hard and dense - NOT fun to sand.

Those doors do look great, nice work.

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 05:04:06 PM »
Thanks for the props and Jared, thanks for the fedback on Durham's. I was hesitant to try it for these because they claim "rock hard" so my gut was that it would be tough to sand. First instincts are usually best instincts! There's another one by Bahlen's I think called pore-o-matic.Might look into it, too.

Another trick though, to avoid mega sandling later, is to fill the pores by brush and then lightly squeegie the excess away. I didn't do that with these because elmer's is quite easy to sand. 

Vin

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 09:07:04 PM »
They look very nice thanks for the info on the elmers wood filler I knew nothing about that product.

Wish I had the luxury of taking doors off I just don't have the time so shoot them right on the cabinets, been thinking about getting a painting pot instead of setting up my rig and blasting the paint on, I would like a little more control.

HAve any of you used stainable wood filler something thats easy to work with?

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 02:26:31 PM »
In all my reading the best advice I've ever come across (even though I've never tried it) is to take the fine sawdust of the wood you're working with and make a paste out of it with shellac. Shellac bonds incredibly well and the sawdust will take the stain perfectly.  Anyone ever try that?

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:26:10 PM »
That's a great looking job on those cabinets mjm.  Several years back in some faux schooling,  I was taught to work with Elmer's wood filler.  I think it sands pretty easy.
Great job.  :)

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:18:22 AM »
Just to give you an idea how hard Durhams is, I use it to repair cracks and chips on Pool Table slate. You dont want to leave much to sand though. Done properly you would never know a repair was made. ROCK HARD.

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »
Just to give you an idea how hard Durhams is, I use it to repair cracks and chips on Pool Table slate. You dont want to leave much to sand though. Done properly you would never know a repair was made. ROCK HARD.

Holy SMACKERS!!!  :o

Offline BIGBREW

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »
Even though i have heard not to, i've used durham water putty to patch holes in masonite(hardiboard) siding.  Just spot prime a couple of times.

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
I wish I knew how to do cabinets like these.  Are you offering lessons? lol

Straight Edge Painting LLC
exterior house painters jacksonville