Author Topic: Any of you done plaster texturing?  (Read 4415 times)

Vin

Any of you done plaster texturing?
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:29:20 PM »
Ok I got that job to fix a ceiling, someone did a real poor job of taping the joints on the room addition ( drywall) and on top of that they stiple textured the ceiling and that has to be repaired also, the stiple is to heavy to just lay some knockdown over i'm afraid to say, though I may try sanding down the whole ceiling (16x25) but thats a big room.

The house is early 1940's plaster and lathe walls. The rest of the house has textured ceilings and the guy told me that the way they did this particular design was to take a piece of plywood, cut a piece of rubber tire and staple it to that wood. They then dipped the rubber tire piece into thick plaster and dabbed it on the ceiling twisting it as you pull away from that area being textured, any of you heard of this.

I've spent several hours looking on the internet for information on this old (school) style of texturing without any luck so how about it anyone with some knowledge of this sort of style?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Any of you done plaster texturing?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:02:48 AM »
I had a similar situation a few years ago and found a plasters forum, believe it or not. Sent them a picture and they had me do something very similar with the rubber tire. They called it a turkey foot pattern. Sounds a little different than yours, though.
It was very slurried down mud and a straight pull.

I'll try and find that other group, resources are handy!  ( do you have a pic?)
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:03 AM »
Nope I didn't take my camera wish I had now I can go back by and take a pic .

Not sure even how to describe it, its sorta a twisted flower look LOL.

Any help would be great I may put that tool together and give it a try see what I can develope,  I just happen to  have an old tube in the garage.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »
Use a board about 1" all around bigger than the average size of the texture. Wrap the tube around the board and staple, but not real taught. And put a handle on it.

Took a little experimentation for me, so thats always a good Idea.  And I was surprized at how wet I had to use the mud. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Here's my turkeyfoot:
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »
I think thats really close Brushjockey i'll do like you say and experiment first seems like his texture was a bit more curved but thats really close, thanks.

Now where in the world can we find out more about this old style texturing i can't find a thing???

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:35:50 PM »
Couldn't find my link due to earlier crash. But I will search a bit. But that is basically what I was told. Sounds like a bit of twist might get what you're looking for.
Back in the day plasterers developed their own signature textures. Some of them were pretty closely guarded.
 It is a dying art.

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »
brushjockey,
how true. :(