Author Topic: What would you suggest to remove paint from a wood deck?  (Read 68460 times)

Offline offthewall

What would you suggest to remove paint from a wood deck?
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »
I've got this guy that wants his deck stripped back down to bare wood and stained.  Problem is that it has about 2 or 3 layers of paint on it. I'm pretty sure a primer wasn't used before the first coat of paint because the deck is a terra cotta color and there is no sign of primer of any kind underneath it.  I hit an area with the pressure washer to see how easy it would come off and some of it flew off while other parts are staying put.  Typically I would pass on a job like this but because I get sooo much work from him I feel obligated do it.  I was thinking of spraying the whole thing down with paint stripper, let it soak the recommended time and then nail it with the pressure washer.  Does this sound like the right idea?  If not please let me know if there is a better way because I personally don't like working with paint stripper.  Plus I would hate to get halfway through the job only to find out that it's not going to work.  I'm wondering if he wouldn't be better off starting from scratch (build a new deck) cause it's not going to be cheap from my end.  Your opinions please.   

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
Re: What would you suggest to remove paint from a wood deck?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:54:52 AM »
The price to strip it as opposed to replacing it would be his concern, you have to bid your costs. I dont want to say I'm anal when it comes to neatness, but I can imagine what a mess it would make to the surrounding areas to power wash the stripper off. I'd have to take it small sections at a time, scrapping the stripper off, then as a final clean use the power wash. Though this would increase time. JMHO. Good luck. How big is the Deck?

Offline offthewall

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
Its not too big, 10x10 maybe.  He's definitely gonna have to pay me for it if you know what I mean.  The good thing is that the area surrounding it is nothing but pine straw, which is getting recovered after I'm done so no worries on the mess it could make!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »
Not being an exterior guy... but I've heard that the strippers that you put on, put a special paper over and peel off, ( no wash in bushes..) works great, but expensive. Maybe somone with more knowledge about that will chime in.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:13:20 AM »
The produce you a referring to is Peel Away. It works well on some things but did not work well on the deck. JMHO

Lynjo

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:19:28 AM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline MiTm

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »
Ditto on the pressure wash...Then you truly will HAVE A MESS :(
"Each is the Architect of their own Joy and Sorrow"

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:07:56 PM »
I used Wolman's stripper ona painted deck a few years ago.  WEAR RUBBER CLOTHING, BUT AND ALL.   I worked great, I had my helper on the bottom constantly making sure none hit the side of the house, and kept the patio below wet.  The stuff worked great, but I think it was only one coat.   

I did get some of the stripper on my pants though and almost stripped right there in there yard, burned like you know what so be carefull. 

I have also run plastic around the siding of the house if possible to protect the sidding. 

Offline Faron79

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:18:08 PM »
Hi Guys,
To tell ya the truth, I'd rent a vibrating-plate sander and sand the walking surface. 2 things are accomplished here:
1) No harsh strippers/cleaners used, AND
2) You get the best possible surface to stain anew.
3) Use a palm-sander for any spindles, etc.

* INCORRECT use of a pressure-washer can do more harm than good. :'(

SIKKENS recommends sanding as the preferred method to prep a deck, if it's in the "rehab" category.
* Sanding gets rid of all the sun-damaged wood-fibers/dirt.
* When dust-free & ready to stain, the cellulose & hemi-cellulose (hard & soft wood graining) have an open, strong cell-structure to hold onto new stain evenly.
* If wood is only cleaned, you STILL have sun-degraded wood that's clean. It won't hold stain nearly as well, and tends to look blotchy.

3 yrs. ago I did this exact prep on our 10-yr old Redwood deck (west facing/no shade). Rented our stores' plate sander, 80-grit paper, and a sanding backer-pad.
* Applied 1 coat of Sikkens SRD Redwood color. We've got people coming from 300 miles away for the Sikkens products. However, we always stress it doesn't pay unless you do good prep!
* Deck still looks pretty good, but it needs a recoat every 2-3 years after cleaning of course!
* I don't care what some people think...NO deck coating is gonna last more than 3-4 yrs in full sun.
* The whole key is to STAY AHEAD OF THE DAMAGE. Stress this to your clients.

See ya,
Faron
Hmmmm, people spend $$$$$ on furnishings...
BUT, Oh my God, that paint is $40/gaL!!
It's the most noticeable part of an interior!!

Offline kenny

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:00:05 PM »

I did get some of the stripper on my pants though and almost stripped right there in there yard, burned like you know what so be carefull. 

Reminds me of the time I worked in the oil fields we used a chemical we called MR CLEAN in oil wells for what I dont know. anyway as I was on the top of the tower tying in a logging tool, I had my legs wrapped around the pipe tying and you guessed it I got soaked around the 18yo privates.
I took a bath in the water cooler.
Funny thing no one was thirsty the rest of the day.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
If using a chemical stripper on anything exterior be sure to check with local and state regs, especially if the structure is near a body of water or community aquafer.

I've had a LOT of great results with Penofin stains on pine and redwood decks. Like most stains, it only looks good for a few years, but I've found that Penofin oxidizes consistantly and doesn't build up nearly as much as others. I've seen moisture percolate up through a nice high-dollar Sikkens finish and ruin it in short order. Make sure whatever you choose to apply that the homeowner is aware that there has to be good airflow underneath the deck in order to keep excess moisture in check. The lower a deck is to the ground, the more apt I am to suggest a simple cleaning and NO finish...

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 08:23:48 PM »
offthewall,
 i just checked out a deck, similar issues only there were four twenty by forty decks around the home.
plus plenty of expensive landscaping surrounding that.a contractor called me and explained that he has
already invested too much time and gallons of stripper on this job.their are two options;#1 barrelsand the
decking and disc the rest.#2 replace the decks.you have to go deep to remove all paint so the new
finish will look and perform as it should. :-\

Offline offthewall

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »
Wow, what a pain in the butt!  I will never mess with a project like this again- just not worth it.   Took way more to get it off than I thought and found out real fast that pressure washing makes t worse.  Luckily he agreed to a time and materials bid so I didn't lose my arse.(would have if I'd submitted the original bid)  Not a fan of paint stripper and staining pretty much sucks too.  I've come to the conclusion that I like good ol fashioned repaints.  No trim, doors, ceilings, decks, contractors, just a new color on the wall.  Quick, easy and damn good $.  Trouble is finding them in a consistent manner.  ;)