Author Topic: Will we be painting solar-power-generating coatings on roofs in 10 years?  (Read 5491 times)

Jared

Saw an interesting documentary on the Science channel last night...  they mentioned a new breakthrough in Solar Energy technology - apparently scientists have successfully created solar cells that are free-floating and self-contained, for the puropse of suspending these cells in a solvent so that any flat surface can be converted into a solar panel just by painting it.  ;)

As much as I doubt we'll be applying this coating anytime soon, this story did bring up a point - the future of the Painting business could be very interesting and varied indeed.

Offline MiTm

Re: Will we be painting solar-power-generating coatings on roofs in 10 years?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »
Probably will require certification to apply the substance. And what about toxicity?
"Each is the Architect of their own Joy and Sorrow"

Jared

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:23:42 PM »
Unfortunately, the documentary I was watching didn't get into details like toxicity - I suppose the technology is still under development, thus the "nitty gritty" details are probably quite a ways away.

But it is a safe bet that new technologies like this will be, at very least, very heavily regulated - either by the manufacturer, the government, or both.  ;)  I suppose it will depend on how much the manufacturer wants to make on the application process, and what kind of hazardous materials go into the stuff.

One thing is for sure:  with the changes going on in coatings manufacturing, only time will tell.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »
Very interresting concept. Wish I had see the documentary. As you said only time will tell.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Jared

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 04:38:59 PM »
I have a PC that can record TV shows, so I'll try to record it the next time it airs.  I can edit out the rest of the show, and just make a small video file of the segment in question.  Follow-up will occur within a week or so, I'd guess.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it if my slow service will load it.

Lynjo

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 08:05:14 AM »
I saw something interesting also. With the use of "nano" technology you will be able to change the color of your walls just by flipping a switch, was a very interesting show on the Discovery channel, I think the show was called Science 2057.

Offline Tallman

• Tallmanpainting.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 11:04:39 PM »
I was already pumped about global warming extending the exterior repaint season and now I can roll on a coat of Sherwin Williams ElectroCote!

Ahhhhh Technology! ;D
"Friendly professionals providing expert craftsmanship and absolute quality"

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 11:38:37 PM »
Yeah, the military is presently experimenting with nanotech paint on tanks to produce a chameleon effect, the tank will change colors with it's environment...  :o   I can imagine a house paint that will change colors with the seasons... and sloppy painters will just disappear..  ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."