Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?  (Read 19688 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:51 AM »

So, the question is, would you take the job seeing that you have NO work lined up because it is the middle of winter or would you say F/U and rather have no work then more than likely loose some money on the job overall? Oh, by the way the price originally with the discount was 2600.00$ for a master bedroom, two addtl bedrooms, 3 hallways, a small foyer 1 story, a living room, a mud room, another living room, a sun room with 18 foot high walls and a kitchen ceiling and one more bedroom-trim, ceilings, walls!

Total price he wants to pay; 3200.00$ Fair? or Unfair?

Underlined is the part that grabbed me...Normally I would say to walk, everyone who has given you that advice is absolutely right...Then there's the "however". I recently submitted a bid on a convenience store interior that will entail an unknown in labor: The removal and subsequent wall repair behind a large strip of MDF trim...The manager told me that the board of directors are a bunch of penny-pinching sugarbeet farmers and that if the price wasn't right they'd forget the whole thing. I am broke, have no other prospects and my two kids and landlord have "needs" I can't ignore...

So I lowballed myself and will be lucky to be making around $5-$10 an hour. It puts a bad taste in my mouth, but when in a position like I'm in, ya takes what ya can git and ya don't pitch a fit...I have plenty of work lined up for this Spring, but in this part of the country we just never know when that season will show up...So I sympathize with you, and wouldn't hold it against you at all for doing what you have to do...

Offline AttentiontoDetail

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 02:32:22 PM »
First of all, I think your estimate was extremely low based on your description of the work.  Here in Baltimore, Maryland I know some painters who are getting $30-$40 an hour.  I'm not one of them, (lol) but I would have jumped all over that price and hired you on the spot!   

My thing is if you are going to resent being there everyday because of the price, don't do it. Unfortunately, a majority of the folks out there have no idea the time and labor involved in performing a proper painting project.  A lot of my clients get that "sticker shock" look on their face when they see the estimate.  But you have to assure them, through your knowledge and expertise what the project entails.  When doing my contracts, I spell out everything little thing regarding how the project will take place.  Also, give them a list of references they can call to check on your previous projects.

On October 22, 2006 a post by "Jared" was put on this forum titled "Marketing tip for  those new to the biz." Try and find it from previous entries by him and print a copy for yourself.  It was really a valuable piece of information to read.  I think it may help you come to a resolution regarding your dilemma.   

Jared

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 08:23:09 PM »
Well, I'm glad you found it helpful!

link to the post referred to above:

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,897.0.html

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
this prick wqill want everything for free, and nothing will be done right.

this is how (some of) the rich get rich.

if you sense you're getting stiffed, steal something of value.  ;D

Good luck.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »
I turned down a job years ago over $25. Had the signed contract in hand when he remembered he had a gallon of off the wall paint we could use so he whats me to lower the price. Tore the contract up right in his face & said get someone else. Of course he was already complaining about the price.   ;D ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 08:37:18 AM »
if you sense you're getting stiffed, steal something of value. 

What the hell kind of advice is that? smiley or not.

If someone working for me even joked about something like that they'd be out right there and then, no if's and's or but's.

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 09:55:18 AM »
don't worry about it. I quit.

Loosen up. It was a joke.

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »
I turned down a job years ago over $25. Had the signed contract in hand when he remembered he had a gallon of off the wall paint we could use so he whats me to lower the price. Tore the contract up right in his face & said get someone else. Of course he was already complaining about the price.   ;D ;D

Lynjo

good move. It never would have ended if you didn't.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 11:21:17 AM »
Take it easy Kevin, even I got the joke, and I'm in a lousy humor these days...I agree with you, if an employee of mine said something like that on a job, he'd be off that job, joke or no. But this isn't a job, it's a discussion group...You're allowed to laugh here... ;)

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »
thank you. a little levity was all I was trying to bring.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 05:17:16 PM »
MJ

I think most of us understood it was a joke. Sometimes we just have to be careful what we say. It may be taken wrong by some. Just remember it isn't just us painters that read this forum.  ;)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »

Just remember it isn't just us painters that read this forum. 

Same thing I was thinking Lynjo  .

Being a public forum this is another reason I don't give anything in detail out as far as how I bill for an account.    General information is about it.

MJ,  hang in there,  we knew you were only joking- but some of our guest might be getting a little bugg eyed.   ;D

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »
artisan j,
 the first conversation you had with this homeowner spells it out.no matter what you do on that job will
not be good enough for (them). as soon as you caved on the your price you let them know that you
would be putty in their hands.that job will last longer than you priced as they will nickel and dime you
to death with extras.these cold times are tough for us all.keep in mind its only one house out of how
many?? hang in there a worthy job will come up soon enough where you can get your price that your
worth.

Offline Artisan J

• I'm a painting BEAST !
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
hang in there a worthy job will come up soon enough where you can get your price that your
worth.

I appreciate the words of comfort here! It is a slow time. I have done numerous estimates as well as called leads and nothing is coming up. It is neat though to know that this is temporary and all will be smoothed out soon enough.

Yes, though, my first mistake was caving in on the price! I have had one other customer do that-a large basement remodeling company-and they have been one of the biggest pains in the you know what. From call backs (because they can't tell the customer that the color they chose in the first place was the one we put on the walls and they didn't like it) to requesting that we do work practically for free. And, get this, one of the basements we refinished was probably the size of 20x15 room with a few doors installed and acoustic tile ceiling with pre formed walls at the grand total price of 21,000.00 dollars!!!
Oh, and they said we were expensive for charging 80 cents a square foot for 3 coats of a burgundy red on a stairwell section. I think from now on I am just going to not haggle with people and say the price is what it is and you get what you pay for!

That is why this industry is cool in some ways; you are always learning!  :o
"God loved the world in this way; He sent His only first born son into the world that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life!" -John 3:16

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
80 CENTS A FOOT?   ???  Only person making any money was the GC.

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

anything