Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?  (Read 19675 times)

Jared

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 08:55:49 PM »
Funny enough, today I happened to pass by a job I bid on about 9 months ago.

BIG job.  Whole ground floor interior (not including private residences) of a large high-rise condo building.  Huge lobby (about 50' x 80'), a 140' x 12' hallway, and the 8'x10' elevator alcove.  All 12' ceilings.  Their designer came up with an 8-color scheme, besides the usual they added color borders on all the walls, about 18" wide for each color, 3 in total.  Popcorn to remove throughout, and the drywall definately wasn't even taped when the popcorn was originally applied.

I bid the job reasonably for the work entailed.  As this was for a condo association, I was tempted to just pass on the job altogether - but when one of my previous clients who was on the board offered to hire me directly for the job, I decided to go ahead and submit a bid.

In the end, they went with a slop-jockey.  I took a look today at the job they did, and all I can say is - they should have left it alone and just not bothered.  I have never seen a mess this bad.

If I DO get a call to come in and fix this one, I will turn it down.  There is no way I can charge enough to fix the nightmare these folks have on their hands now.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 11:54:47 PM »
Goes to show, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! All those slop-jockeys out there give us painters a bad name. I agree I hate to go behind them.

Lynjo

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 08:00:53 AM »
I love the associations who hire the cheapest, club-fisted painter they can find, give you that smug "I'm not gonna let YOU gouge us!!" look, then for the next year or two you see the homeowners sneeking out to fix the mess themselves...And I NEVER give customers like that a second chance, because people don't change that much, even after having beeen burned...

Offline Kevin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 08:34:38 AM »
Dishonesty, theivery, is nothing to joke about, ever!

As far as reducing the price quoted, I dont do it. Do I get ever job quoted, heck no. As a salesman which we all are, we know what the job cost, what we need to cover our cost and what we are worth. Noboby wants to pay more than they have too. Yes there will alway be someone that can or will do it for less. If I'm going to reduce the price quoted then something in the quote has to change.  We are'nt selling paint, we are selling our talent, knowledge and experience.

Would the doctor reduce the price he charges just because you think it's too much?

Do I live on bolonga and beans this time of year, you bet.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »
Kevin

Nicely put.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 12:02:04 AM »
Do I live on bolonga and beans this time of year, you bet.

I just made a nice crockpot full of split peas for about 75 cents added some hamhocks for about $2.00 that'll keep me eating for a couple days , cheap pound of bologna keeps me in sandwichs all week, yep winter months aint all that tough if you know how to do it.

I'm learning to set a price and stick to it, the only way i'll lower it is if the customer wants to use an inferior product or take something out of the deal i'm not dropping my own set wages unless there my own mother and she's pulled her jewishness out on me more then once but I never argue with her get a fry pan upside the head if I did :P

anything