Author Topic: boxing 25 gal of paint?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline kenny

boxing 25 gal of paint?
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Just wondering I  bid a church job, weather still too nasty to even think about painting right now. But if I should get the job and it is going to require 25 gallons of custom paint how do I go about boxing it?
I will buy it in 5 gallon buckets.  Do I need a 30 gallon barrel to box in or is there a better way.
Thanks
Kenny

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
Re: boxing 25 gal of paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
You need to come down here to the paint store I use.  They match it to the T every time, no worries at all.  On top of that, I get a paint can of cookies for Christmas.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 01:04:46 PM »
Kenny,

It would be a bit difficult to get it out of a 30gal drum...  ;)

Unzip two of the fives and pour some of each into your "working" five gal. bucket. Add to the working bucket as needed from the two opened fives. Never let the working bucket run dry. Once the two opened buckets reach about half full, open another five and add paint to the original two, and from them to the working bucket..... and so on.... 
These days there should not be drastic color changes between base lots, but this method will reduce the chance of a color glitch ruining the job.

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »
I had this happen ONE TIME and one time only.

20 gallons of paint to work with and had what rmicahel calls " working bucket" anyhow got down to the last 5 and as i'm pooring it in I see the color difference but thats like half a 5 already poored in so I check the label and sure as heck its a different color, and I needed every bit of that 20 gallons. I called the store mad as heck told them to delivery me a fresh bucket and NOW.

Always check the labels on stuff before you get going and I even check the tint by dabbing my finger in the working bucket or vice versa and check the tint in the other bucket just to make sure, wipe it on a lib or something .

Sometimes they forget to tint one had that happen also , but thats usually pretty obvious just that once you get going, if your like me your going like a madman spraying  paint and it's  all in your eyeballs  :P might miss something.

anything