Author Topic: product advice...ext. oak door  (Read 7808 times)

Offline paintchicky

• I'm a llama!
product advice...ext. oak door
« on: September 24, 2005, 09:18:45 PM »
Hi, I need advice on the type of product to use on a new exterior oak front door.  Using Old Masters stain, but both of my paint suppliers have taken spar varnish off of their sheves because of product failure......HELP!  
Ontario, Canada

the PAINTSMITH

Re:product advice...ext. oak door
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 07:49:52 AM »
Amazing how long spar has been around and still the finish of choice for so many (especially mariners). Like they say, "When something works..."

There are so many urethanes out there now, and even the waterborne products are beginning to develop durability on exterior applications, it's almost impossible to recommend one.

Defthane is always a good choice, maintains a lot of the amber appearance of spar, and definitely dries faster, but there's also MinWax urethane products, including Helmsman Spar Varnish, which you should be able to find at the corner hardware store. Then there is Varathane, one of my personal favorites; comes in a variety of formulas, including exterior-specific. I have an oak table in my study that was "Varathaned" almost 20 years ago and has gone through 4 kids without a sctratch...

Luck with what you choose, if you're attached to using spar I'm sure you can still find it...

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Flying this Spruce Goose
    • painterforum
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 10:04:56 AM »
Just a note:
Ultra Violet light and heat are very real problems with all clear coats applied to stationary substrates. If the door is in direct sunlight the clear coat will fail over time. Some products have UV protection added.. with limited success.

Admin  pro-painter
I am a webmaster in the tradition of Howard Hughes, I fly this Spruce Goose of a website through cyberspace by the seat of my pants and I usually manage to keep her just above the water, but every now and then I get a wet ass. Let me know if you feel a shudder.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 08:03:37 PM »
Hey all,

We use Helmsman exterior (oil) poly with added UV protection and have had good luck with it. I have heard that the Helmsman water based is also good stuff, but I am just used to breaking out the hog hair for clear coat. :)

Good Luck with your Project!
Lynjowoman   pro painter
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

anything