Author Topic: Bidding Interior Paint Jobs  (Read 181208 times)

Jared

Re: bidding interior paint jobs
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »
Note: I know some fellows who would rather do a quick, cheap repaint so that they can get to another job. Let me ask you. Would you rather do one job at $4.25 sf or run to three for .75 a sf.?

I believe this is the most apt statement made in this whole thread.  (Not to devalue any other info, it's all good...  but this is the "hidden gem" among the rest of the good info here, IMO.)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 11:35:19 AM »
I do understand Michael's recommendation of "staged" pricing and I agree that it can be a tool for selling a paint job. However, I have never approached a job with anything less than high quality results in mind, and I price it accordingly.
Your reputation for quality depends entirely on the end result. Once that reputation is established you can market the higher cost of quality as a value to your customers. I see no need to compete with one's self during the sit down.

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »
Michael

Staged pricing is a fact of life. But, it's not on the table unless Mr. Jones asks for it. So yes, you are 100% correct. Always the best...unless.. ;)

And, a price reduction is always at the sacrifice of the client, not the painter.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Artisan J

• I'm a painting BEAST !
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
I think that it is important to recognize the HOW of sq.footage bidding.!

There are two types;

1. Actual Sq. Foot measurements and therefore actual sq.foot prices. This means a room that is 10x15x8(lengthxwidthxheight)=(10+15)X2X8=400 sq.feet. This is the ACTUAL square feet of the surfaces you are estimating to prep and paint. This price usually is somewhere between 75 cents to 85 cents a sq. foot, including materials.

2. Heated Floor Sq.foot measurements are the length x's the width of the room. That is 150 sq.ft in our room example above. This price is usually around 2.50 to 4.50 a sq. foot depending on materials prices, amount of difficulty of prep and accessibility to the surfaces and other misc. details of the job!

Price differs... who in their right mind would paint a 400 sq. ft room @ 75-85 cents for HEATED floor sq footage? That equals 112.50$, instead of the actual sq.foot price of 300-375$?

I think we need to keep in mind the differences here!
"God loved the world in this way; He sent His only first born son into the world that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life!" -John 3:16

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 05:35:54 PM »
I just wanted to add my "two cents".  I was at a job fair the other day and I found out that most of the large home builders in my area only want to pay about $1.35-$1.45 a sq ft and you have to provide the paint! 
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 06:00:42 PM »
That is exactly why we very seldom work for building contractors. They are trying to make a huge profit on our work, they charge their client at least double for the painting & don't lift a finger or provide any supplies. All they provide is a big headache pushing you to finish in a hurry. Maybe one day painting contractors will wise up to the GC's. They have no loyalty, they will take the lowest bidder everytime.  ;D

Lynjo
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:07:40 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline DavidHenshaw

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 07:16:27 PM »
There is a world of difference in painting new construction and doing residential repaints.

A building contractor doesn't care what the results look like within reason. They assume the buyer will repaint anyway. On the other hand an owner (residential repaint) cares a lot about the end results. After all, the repaint is part and parcel with home decorating.

A painter doing residential repaints should be paid quite a bit more because they are providing so many services that the new construction painter is never concerned with. ie,

Dealing with people in the home
      Protecting furniture and floors, etc
      Consulting on color selection
      Making necessary repairs

Once you start dealing with the above and all the other problems not mentioned it's easy to quote the higher price with confidence. Like other post have said, good work gets a reputation and good customers don't mind paying for it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 07:19:18 PM by DavidHenshaw »

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 09:17:08 PM »
A lot of our clients that have remodeling work done tell the contractor up front they want us to do the painting. They have finally realized it is really cheaper to pay us themselves instead of going through the contractor. They tell them not to include the painting in their remodeling. That is a win win situation for everyone except the GC.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »
Thats how it goes for me too, Lyn.   Although when you make the GC carpenters look good, it can't be all bad for him!  Some get that part.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 11:04:54 PM »
Yea, but try convincing them of that. Very few will admit that we make their work look better.   ;D 

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton

Offline readboutjc

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
i understand what lynjo means about contractors.  i also am new to the painting business.  have done
it on the side off and on many times in the past.  a contractor just gave me a job of painting some
paneled walls. it took five coats of primer just to keep from bleeding through.  i probably made about
$7 per hour and busted my butt.  however, the customer added a ceiling to paint which i made about
$35 per hour.  now, she wants me to change out her kitchen counter tops and put in a new hardwood
floor.  jobs that were suppose to go to the contractor.  i did an excellent job painting for her and am
making up for my loss in customer satisfaction and additional work.  as a result, this customer will not
use the original contractor again.  i just keep my mouth shut and she adds more work.

i don't know much about estimating, but in order for this work to be worth my while, i need $20 per hour.

i figure $1 a sq ft., 2 coats of paint, includes trim work, not the ceilings, and the customers pays for
materials.  so a 10 x 10 sq ft room would be $100 plus the cost of materials.  materials being paint,
rollers, and paint tray liners. not brushes.  i add a little extra for any obstacles or additional patching needed unless it is minor stuff like nail holes.  the ceiling would be 1/2 that, or $50 plus materials.

or, i charge $2.50 a linear foot.  same difference.

i am not as fast as i would like to be, but i am very meticulous about the outcome.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »

Only one comment from me...readaboutjc, you need to give yourself a raise!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:48:01 AM by tallpaul »

Offline readboutjc

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »
i would have, except the final cost would have been close to $2000.  it was an elderly lady who has
been caring for her handicapped son for 44 years.  all he can do is eat and walk.  her husband passed
away 5 years ago and nothing has been done to her house for 7 years.  it was one of those jobs that
looked easy at first, but every step of the job led to another problem.  i charged her $850 to paint her
living room, kitchen cabinet doors, wallpaper a small bathroom, wallpaper a half wall in her dining area,
and some miscellaneous work.  it just turned out to be very time consuming, and i am picky.

i felt compassion for her situation.  turned out to my betterment though.  as i said, she had
me paint a ceiling and do a couple odds and ends which i got $250 for and i will be changing her
counter tops and putting in a hardwood floor.  guess i'll work my raise in on those jobs.

another benefit is that she and her daughter give piano lessons at her house, and although i haven't
any commitments yet, 3 people mentioned using me to paint at their homes.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »
I call that philanthropainting, and for me there is a time and a place for it. 

Good work dredging up an old thread though, some have been asking about these kinds of q's lately.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »
I wont touch new construction.

As for those who sell themselves short, I was one of them for a long time, then I did some testing to find out what i should be charging. Test your market. Who cares what others are charging, they don't matter. Slowly increase your bid (whether you use an hourly base or sq.ft base) with each quote you give till you get the feeling that price is starting to get in the way of getting the jobs. Thats where your price point lies.