Author Topic: What is the coldest temp you will still paint in?  (Read 36717 times)

Offline offthewall

What is the coldest temp you will still paint in?
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
Just curious as to what everyone's low temperature cut-off is.  I personally won't go at it unless it's above 50 because it seems like anything below that and the paint applies and dries all wrong.  Anyone else have an opinion on this matter?  The reason I ask is because I have this HUGE exterior job that I am behind on due to other jobs and now for the past 2 weeks its been freezing cold (40's and below).  I hate to tell the homeowner I can't get it done in time (by March 9th) because of the weather but it's the truth.  And I told them ahead of time that winter is the hardest month to get outside work done in a timely manner because of temperatures.  I'm in Florida so humidity plays a huge roll as well because its almost always above 70%.  Just wondering what you thoughts were.

Jared

Re: What is the coldest temp you will still paint in?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »
Are you using a "cold temp" paint?

Some exterior paints are formulated for application as low as 40 degrees or so.  (Going on my poor memory on the temp, my 40 degree statement may not be accurate.)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
I painted the facade of a commercial building @ 29 degrees around 4 years ago. Canary yellow...From what I've seen it's still hanging on there, but I'm pretty sure it just laid there on the wall frozen til the following Spring...Used ICI's low-temp latex product, applicable down to 35 degs...

...Wasn't my idea... :-\

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
I remember back in the olden dayz spraying semi solid oils on rough sawn in the middle of Minnesota winters..

Hehe.

Don't do that. I remember going right over ice patches. That had to be pure beauty in the spring!
 :o
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:44:48 PM »
Offthewall

We have the same problem on the coast of NC. as you have in Fla. I never paint exterior below 50, sometimes that is pushing it because of the slow drying paint now. As Jared said make sure you use low temp paint If not you will be in big trouble. Make sure you check the labels.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »
In addition to low temp paint, the surface should not be too cool.  If you're painting with low temp and the temp is 35, but the surface is cooler yet, there could be problems with the paint curing properly.  A hard wind can affect the surface temp.  The temp after painting should also not drop below the recommended temp for painting with the low temp paint.

Offline offthewall

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:09:18 PM »
The weather has been a crap shoot here lately, too cold, too wet or both.  Nobody thinks it gets cold in Florida but try telling that to the 2 plants I left outside by accident.  It got down into the teens 3 times in the past week.  My dad calls me from Alaska  a couple of days ago and we were sitting at the same temp as he was!  Anyway, I haven't resorted to using cold temp paint quite yet, I've just been waiting for the mercury to rise a bit.  Plus I HATE painting in cold weather, especially when the wind is 20+.  Looks like I've got a good 10 day stretch ahead with 60+ degrees and mostly dry.  Time to put the pedal to the metal :)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »
Up here there are arguably 6 months where interior painting is the only course. There are major headaches involved with that as well. Folks don't want the trades traipsing in and out their front or back doors with muddy/wet/snowy boots, especially when the temps go below 0. So many of them wait til the exterior season is in full swing...

The usual pattern for interior paint jobs up here is thus; gather up materials/tools/equipment from warm storage (in my case the basement), haul them up and out to the truck, transport to the job, make however many trips it takes to get EVERYTHING into the jobsite so nothing freezes (can't leave anything outside), every trip entails removing of boots/shoes to get said materials out of the entry area, then repeat...

...When the job is done, or tools and materials not needed are taken back to the shop, they must be hauled back to warm storage immediately...No, not complaining, I need the excercise, but there is a time variant that adds significantly to the day, and subtracts significantly from any production getting done--The days wind up to be much longer than usual...

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 01:26:38 PM »
PSmith- ain't it the truth. And I own only slipons..
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:45:54 AM »
Thank you for the informative posts.

Offline Desy101

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:02:48 AM »
This is a very good post which I really enjoy reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:56:49 PM by Desy101 »

Offline KDPaintingCT

• Interior House Painters CT | Exterior House Painting CT
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »
No lower than 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

anything