Author Topic: For those of you who are mechanically inclined...  (Read 19974 times)

Jared

For those of you who are mechanically inclined...
« on: February 20, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »
For those of you who are mechanically inclined - if you do your own vehicle repairs, and you ever need a pro's advice on diagnosis or repair proceedures - I stumbled upon a mechanic's forum which very much reminds me of this forum, in that the membership is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.  ;)  They helped me diagnose my recent vehicle problem, and got me back on the road with excellent and accurate information.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/

Just thought I'd share...  even for those who do NOT do their own mechanical work, it can be nice to have a place to log in and describe the problem and receive multiple opinions from unbiased pros as to the problem and remedy.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: For those of you who are mechanically inclined...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »
Are they as good as Click and Clack from MPR?  ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Jared

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »
well, I wouldn't say they are as entertaining - but a big yes on the accuracy of information, in my case at least.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the info Jared. Could have used it last week when we had to have our Van towed. Thanks to my mechanically inclined husband we had it back on the road Monday.

Lynjo
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:38:41 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Vin

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »
I have my own mechanic works out of his house .

Just this afternoon had him put new rotors and pads on the frontend of my truck payed him $125.00 and he did them in less then 2 hours while I waited. I hate wrenching :P

Offline ChuckWagon

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:07:57 PM »
Yeppers,  there is a site for just about any vehicle out there.  I am a car ho  ;D (5 vehicles) and am registered at just as many sites.

Did I read in the past Jared that you picked up an Astro somewhat recently......well so did I, and found this one.....

http://www.astrosafari.com/

Chuck

Jared

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 06:09:31 PM »
ChuckWagon -

You're my hero!  And you are correct, I DID very recently pick up an Astro.  Other than the fuel pump dying within the first 1000 miles of buying it, I am very happy with it.

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing that link, I was completely unaware of the Astro/Safari forum.  GREAT resource!

Vin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »
This is cool because I have had some problems with this truck a few times and had to make calls to friends for help. That site you posted Jared even had my GMC sierra listed thats cool man definetly a bookmark worthy.

Just recently the check engine light goes on and off I was told to wait until it stays on and they'll code check it see whats happening but it just wont stay on yet.

Offline ChuckWagon

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
If your computer trip a code....then disapears....it is usually still store in memory.    It doesn't have to be "on" to be able to be read by the scan tool .  I have a scanner  and would have helped you out if you were in my neck o' the woods.

Chuck

Vin

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »
chuck everyones telling me it has to stay on?

Jared

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 07:35:10 PM »
in my experience, all GM vehicles '89 and on will store the code - all you need is a cheap little GM Code Reader to get the code from memory.

Offline ChuckWagon

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 07:38:26 PM »
Vin,

I just posted our dilema over at http://www.astrosafari.com/  keep an out in the General Discussion Forums for replies to my thread titled "scanning codes"

Chuck

Vin

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 07:50:41 PM »
in my experience, all GM vehicles '89 and on will store the code - all you need is a cheap little GM Code Reader to get the code from memory.

There little over $20 on amazon is that what your talking about Jared? http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3123-GM-Code-Reader/dp/B000EVU8C0

Thanks chuck i'll keep an eye on that thread. thanks guys

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »
  I'm a car guy, but other than the E350 for painting I drive all imports. They're like gocarts and everything can be fixed cheap and easily.

For the codes, I know checker does the scan tool for free and they'll tell you what sensor is going off. In my hondas, there's a two pin connector by the ecu that you jump with a paperclip and the check engine light will flash a given amount of times. Check the code vs. internet code listings and you have your problem.

And if anyone cares, here's the project I've been working on for a couple years:

Was:
automatic
left hand drive
slow

Will be:
8 pt roll bar
right hand drive
550whp compliments of 2.0 built dohc and turbo
drag car with license plates.  ;)

Jared

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »
In my hondas, there's a two pin connector by the ecu that you jump with a paperclip and the check engine light will flash a given amount of times. Check the code vs. internet code listings and you have your problem.

In modern GM's, they put a multi-pin connector in the wiring harness; in almost all GMs it is located below the steering wheel near the top of the steering column.  The code reader simply plugs right into it, and the little digital readout on the code reader will show you the last code stored in memory. 

I have found that sometimes the internet code lists are not 100% accurate, so I just call my local dealer's Service Dept and explain to them that I have a code reader and they have always been great about looking up my codes in the GM Service Manuals for me.

And yes Vin, those are the code readers.  That is a cheapo one, I'd consider spending about double that in order to get one with a digital readout, they are much less confusing to read than those little LED ones.