Author Topic: graco nova sprayer  (Read 11035 times)

Offline BIGBREW

graco nova sprayer
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:34:33 AM »
hi everyone,
         this is my first post here and i just want to say, this site is great.
i just got my first sprayer and was wondering about oiling the packings.  do u fill the oil up to the bottom of the opening.  i bought some oil at SW and the counter guy said to put 4 or 5 drops of oil in it everytime i use it.  when i took the black cover off to oil it (used machine), the oil was up to the bottom of the opening.  also i am having trouble getting my new tip in.  i think that it has a little paint built up in the opening.  will it hurt to slightly oil it.

thanks,
                                                      dan

Offline BIGBREW

Re: graco nova sprayer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »
i guess i should word it different.  What is the proper way to oil your machine using throat oil?  Will i be alright by running 50% antifreeze/50% water when storing my machine.  Thanks in advance.

dan

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »
Welcome Dan,

If need be, you can oil the pump at the exposed piston shaft while the pump is running.
Soak the tip & housing in some laquer thinner to remove paint buildup, I would not oil the tip, it might contaminate a latex spray, you would be surprised how little it takes..
For storage I pull up auto antifreeze into the pump until it flows out of the return tube, do a full flush before using...  ;)

Best Luck
rmichael
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:11:30 AM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline BIGBREW

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
Thanks rmichael.  The previous owner had too much oil in it.  When i took off the black cover, oil come running out the bottom of the opening.  I didn't think it needed that much in there.  I finally got the tip in by loosening the tip guard a bit.  Sprays like a champ.

Vin

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »
I use throat seal oil EVERY TIME I run my rig it saves those packings just a little more then without the oil, I highly recomend this and I shoot it on the ram as the rig is running.

One big indication the packings are going bad is paint in that area, so clean it off and run it and see if paint starts building up again you may need a new pump.

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »
Hey Vin, how similar is spraying with an airless to an HVLP gun. Do you have to worry about dry spray and all that too? I can't imagine that an airless would atromize thick latex SO WELL that it would be as big a factor as in compressed air systems.

Vin

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
Hey Vin, how similar is spraying with an airless to an HVLP gun. Do you have to worry about dry spray and all that too? I can't imagine that an airless would atromize thick latex SO WELL that it would be as big a factor as in compressed air systems.

You get alot of over spray that bounces off the walls with an airless, I try and keep my pressure down enough that it minimizes that back spray, but you can go only so low on the pressure and the tip starts fingering leaving heavy lines of paint. Spray gives alot better coverage but you  also have to prep everything alot more then if your rolling I have gotten to where I know alot of shortcuts but if your doing custom painting you should NOT do what I do and i'm not even going there LOL.....lemme put it this way I go thru alot of rags.

Offline BIGBREW

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »
thanks for the advice vin.  i have a couple more questions.  Is it alright to spray latex primer using a FINE gun filter?  Which tip would u prefer for inside latex painting: 413 or 515?

Vin

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »
I use a medium to heavy filter  especially on primer, primer seems to often have alot of junk in it and plugs up those filters fast might want to screen the paint first .

In the gun I use medium filter for latex and  5/15 flip  tip,  alot of guys like something finer like 4/13-15 theres less bounce back spray if you keep the pressure down a bit. If you do anything where you need a nice fine mist I use 4/11 like cabinets and doors, baseboard and door jambs if there done separately.

ALWAYS remember when spraying to stay back at least 10-12 inchs otherwise you end up getting lines and holidays , further back the better it seems. I often shoot a wall at around 12" then sweep back and cover it again a bit further back to lay down another light coat on top of the heavy one it covers anything you might have missed.

Don't forget the rig cleaner ;) thats essential to keeping the lines and pump clean

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 10:19:56 PM »
I use a medium to heavy filter  especially on primer, primer seems to often have alot of junk in it and plugs up those filters fast might want to screen the paint first .

In the gun I use medium filter for latex and  5/15 flip  tip, 
Don't forget the rig cleaner ;) thats essential to keeping the lines and pump clean

Most factory specs don't go smaller than a */15* orifice size for straight up latex, I suppose you could thin it or squeeze it tho...  ;) ..
Vin, Great advice about matching the gun filter to the tip and coating you are using. (tips and filters are color coded, a tip/filter selection guide is usually included with a new tip)   That is very often overlooked...and it does make a big difference in getting a correct spray...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:47:25 PM by rmichael »

Offline mjmpainting

• MJM Painting
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:53:11 AM »
how's the atomization on airless rigs? I mean, if you had auto paint and the proper tip set-up, and apart form the overspray, could you paint a car with them?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 09:36:42 PM »
An airless is basically paint pumped through a small hole...no air mix or adjustments other than the pressure knob and the tip size. I suppose you could spray car enamel with a 409 or 411 tip ( that's a very small orifice and an 8 inch spray pattern). Just remember that there are not any finesse adjustments, but it will blow some paint...  ;)

rmichael

Vin

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
With the Graco RAC X tip you can get some really really fine finish tip orfice sizes all the way down o 0.08 they have double orfices so you might just be able to spray a car with that ??? then again I have a tip that shoots a 24" fan 1/2 gallon per minute I think, something like that :o

Offline offthewall

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »
MJM,

I repainted my van with a Titan a couple of years ago and it turned out great.  Check out www.rideonsurf.com and click on the van pics.  Its got before and after shots.  It's not as professional as the rigs the auto painters use but if you ask me it works pretty damn good.  Of course the only problem is we didn't hit it with a clear coat so now after 2+ years in the Florida sunshine its gone from red to more of a pink!

Vin

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »
What tip did you use OTW? I kinda figured it could be done, probably be good as new if you'd put on that clear coat ;)