Author Topic: Anyone used those big Wooster 18" rollers?  (Read 6286 times)

Vin

Anyone used those big Wooster 18" rollers?
« on: March 05, 2007, 11:10:12 AM »
I'm thinkin I may need a couple of those on this next project, hmmmmmmm :o

Hey the buckets come with lids too boy they think of everything  :D

Jared

Re: Anyone used those big Wooster 18" rollers?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:17:11 AM »
Yep, 18" rollers can save a ton of time...

personally I prefer the plastic/metal adjustable "Wide Boy" (not sure if I got the product name correct) 18" handle instead of the non-adjustable plastic "Big Ben" 18" handle.

I also really like the trough-style bucket they offer, and yes, you can get a lid for it.  I really didn't like the "Big Ben" 18" tray at all.

But the real trick can be finding quality 18" sleeves...  if you're lucky, your local dealer that stocks the handles will also have a good selection of sleeves.  Alas, around here I can only get 18" x 3/8" nap sleeves on a consistent basis - and as every single building within a few hundred miles of me has textured walls, I rarely use a 3/8" nap sleeve here.

Vin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
I got the plastic metal adjustable frame just like you mentioned Jared and they had 2 sizes in roller covers 3/8" and 1/2" I got the 1/2 " ;)

Oh I didn't find all of this at a paint store either I went to 4 paint stores ( UNREAL ) I went to the local hardware store they carry damn near everything a person would want for just about any home improvement project, but they didn't have the bucket they did have a heavy duty pan you also mentioned Jared so I went ahead and got one, there pretty deep probably hold 3/4 gallon of paint

you need 1/2" nap sleeves i'll send you some there about $13.00 Jared

Jared

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:43:02 PM »
but they didn't have the bucket they did have a heavy duty pan

Those 18" trays are not my favorite to work with at all.  I recommend multi layers of good plastic under them, the paint has a tendency to want to jump up and over the lip of the tray.  ;)  If you can find the big trough-style bucket, they are worth a good long search - they make the job much more pleasant IMO.

Some Lowe's locations have the big green trough bucket by Wooster.  (Note the key word SOME.  Worth a call.)

you need 1/2" nap sleeves i'll send you some

I appreciate the offer, but I've actually ordered whole cases a couple times since I moved out here, and I still have a bunch of leftovers right now...  if I'm ever stuck needing some, I'll let you know.  ;)

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »
I use the 18" sleeve along with the bucket for big jobs. They can save a lot of time and to be honest they cover better than the 9" roller. I think that's because you put an equal amount of pressure on both side of your roller with 18" handle.
I use 1/2" for ceilings and 3/8" for walls. Make sure to tape around the sleeve before using. ;)

I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
They are great for ceilings... but you might find a lot of places on (residential) walls where they just won't fit..  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Jared

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »
Agreed.  I only whip out the 18" setup for ceilings and large open rectangular rooms with high ceilings.

Vin

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:40:18 PM »
Agreed.  I only whip out the 18" setup for ceilings and large open rectangular rooms with high ceilings.

Thats EXACTLY what I got it for, this next job has a room like that. Also exterior paints will be coming in soon figured i'd use it for back rolling mostly.

Offline Artisan J

• I'm a painting BEAST !
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »
oh boy, one of my favorite topics...the 18 inch roller debate!!!

I think the eighteen is the greatest painting invention known to mankind, besides high quality wooster brushes! I use the 18 on almost EVERY interior painting project, even for bedrooms that are small in size. Why? Time factor, and quality. The 18 uses equal pressure on both sides to reduce the visible roller lines made by the 9 " and the coverage of a 18"x1/2" is amazing.

The Lowes stores carries the big trough tray and the adjustable 18 frame. The wooster poles can be attached to the frame and it is the simplest frame design ever made! I wish I was the guy or gal that made this beautiful invention!

You can get high quality 18" sleeves at sherwin williams stores-the soft woven covers are amazing-they are reusable and they never shed.

Ok, great topic! ;D
"God loved the world in this way; He sent His only first born son into the world that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life!" -John 3:16

Vin

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 11:10:36 PM »
Thanks Artisan i'm looking foreward to getting my setup all wet ;D

If I get that big job I have about 7,200 sq ft. of walls to backroll :P

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:07:31 AM »
I got an deep bucket for my 18" from my local paint store that handles wooster, also buy 1/2 wooster covers.  I wish I would have waited though, the ICI store has the bucket with the lid and drain plug. I think mine holds about 2 1/2 gallons.

Some guys hate them because of the weight, frankly that doesn't bother me, plus you get done faster.