Author Topic: 4 hour re-coats  (Read 8179 times)

Offline ChuckWagon

4 hour re-coats
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »
I'm thinking most of us can't wait 4 hours to recoat an interior room as advised on most latex interior paints.   Whether it's a primer followed up by a top coat....or....a first coat of paint followed up by a second coat of paint.   What are the practices you guys use in order to get in and out of a  small to medium size room in one day(recoat time practices that is)

Chuck

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Re: 4 hour re-coats
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:16:10 PM »
early arrival---;   sometimes I can do it ,  but most of the  time  "not",   because  for one thing if the color being used is a dark color ,  may take longer to dry enough for the second coat,  also depends on the room temperature,   also depends on the time of the year ,  if it gets dark early - I will wait and come back when there is a lot of sufficient lighting,  even though I use my own lighting as well.

Just don't want to risk it and then again,  I do other things over basecoats, so I would be in there more than a day anyway.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
I use a fan to speed things up. Pretty often recoat in about an hour.  Only really run into problems with deep colors that have more of a resin body to them.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »
The fan trick helps, but Haste makes waste. Sometimes it better not to rush it, better to wait a little while than to have to redo it the next day.  ;)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
ditto Lynjo,

take your time and do it right the first time.

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »
   You know the little spare tire in your trunk that says you can only go 50mph on it? It's really good to 70, but they don't tell you that. ;) I look at the 4 hour rule the same. About an hour/dry to the touch, and never had an issue.

Note: You can drive more than 3,000 miles on the same oil too.  :P

Jared

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
Using a flat/matte finish in a light color and getting an early start for the day will give you the best chance of getting 2 coats of paint done in one day.  The higher the sheen on the paint, the more important it is to allow for that extra time between recoats.  (As a general rule.)

I have had better success with a coat of primer and a coat of paint in a single day.  I believe most fast-drying water-based primers have about 50% solids (give or take), perhaps this allows for the primer's faster dry time.

I tend to limit my use of fans to drying mud.  I have had problems before with using fans on freshly-painted walls - from sagging and flashing to dust being thrown on the fresh paint...  so use fans with caution.  ;)  If you are dealing with particularly humid conditions and thus much extended dry times, a dehumidifier in the room will offer better results than a fan, IMO.  Just try to set it so it does not make the air TOO dry...  the concept is to use the dehumidifier to bring the air's humidity levels back to normal, to allow for the normal dry times.  Be careful not to dehumidify the air too much, or the paint will dry too fast and this can cause other problems.

But here in San Diego, the humidity and temp levels are perfect for natural quick dry times...  in most cases, I can prime a room with Zinsser 1-2-3 or Gripper and it will be fully dry in well under 2 hours.  Same goes for most flat/matte paints, even some eggshells and satins dry completely in 2-3 hours here.  But for semi- and full glosses I will always wait the 4 hr minimum, and with some brands of paint I will not even recoat the glosses until the next day.  (This is part of the reason most pros charge a premium for working with glosses - along with the extra skill they require.)

And finally, if you absolutely HAVE to get in and out of a room in one day, I would (again) suggest trying to get your hands on the new Benny Moore "Aura" paint.  This paint was designed to cover in a single coat, given the color change is not drastic and the new color is not a deep tint...  and it dries to the touch in ONE hour.  Using deep tinted colors, you'll need no more than 2 coats, and I have recoated the matte and satin finishes in 2 hours with no problems at all.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:37:28 PM by Jared »

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:31 PM »
Why would you have to get in and out in one day? Low bid?

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »
Well Michael sometimes it may be a fill in job & you only have 1 extra day available to do it. I don't like to do this but sometimes as a favor I will. Never like to be rushed on any job. If only that could always be the case.   ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:40:31 PM »
I know everyones got their ways, but like the job I'm presently on  I will do 1 or 2 rooms and jump back and forth with coats, I use a fan often and also use eggshell often. Very seldom  have had a problem unless like previously said, its a deep color. Might help that I like to use paint thinned so it lays out quicker , and usually no extender so it settles down fast.  But if I can get 3-4 steps on different rooms, areas etc going at once  and jump between, the waiting for one part is filled with working on another. So much of what I think is our skill is also on how to think out your procedure so we aren't just watching the paint dry . (as exiting as that is  ;D )
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline ChuckWagon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:31:11 AM »
Thanks for the responces all....This particular job is a 12' x 12' ceiling job (white/flat)in which I will be rolling out 1 coat of primer with 2 top coats.  I quoted the job at $375 and would just like to be out in one day without sacrificing quality.  Sounds like I should be able to do it even if I wait 2 hours between coats.

Chuck

Vin

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »
If I can press my finger HARD on the last coat I applied and my finger don't stick it's ready for a coat, thats called the "sticky finger test" ;)

Offline Paint Mode

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 08:14:50 PM »
Thanks for the responces all....This particular job is a 12' x 12' ceiling job (white/flat)in which I will be rolling out 1 coat of primer with 2 top coats.  I quoted the job at $375 and would just like to be out in one day without sacrificing quality.  Sounds like I should be able to do it even if I wait 2 hours between coats.

Chuck

After 3 years of following a ceiling texturing crew I can tell you, drape the walls with 1 mil. spray your primer, go to lunch, come back and spray the paint. Tear everything down, and you've got 4.5 hour job on your hands.

anything