Author Topic: Introductions & Q  (Read 5088 times)

Offline ABulick

Introductions & Q
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
Hi Guys,
I'm a professional remodeler/carpenter with 35 years self-unemployed,( know what I mean, vern). I sub a lot of the work I do but I do all the carpentry and very minor painting. Primarily I paint, HVLP,my own cabinetry. I won't be doing the painting on this job.

I have a question about an upcoming job that has some lead-paint issues, most of which I'm aware in dealing with. I'm trying to find the best paint removal system for my painter who is very good but hasn't Dealt with stripping lead.

The clients are a young green"save the planet" type pain... Is there a liquid/paste type applied enviro safe product you'd reccommend? This would be used inside, windows and trim, and outside,windows only.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
Re: Introductions & Q
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:40:26 AM »
There are all sort of legalities to removing lead paint. You need to check with your state to see what the law is. Lead paint is like asbestos, not just anyone can do it.
Sean

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »
Yep, state, county, township, city, even homeowner associations have their own regs and restrictions concerning the release of lead particulates into the atmosphere/aquafer...Most adhere to Federal and state guidelines, but some localities are even more restrictive...Do some homework first...

As far as enviro-harmonious chems that will be effective, all I can suggest is to talk to your paint store reps and read the Safety Data Sheets that are required of manufacturers...

Offline ABulick

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
Thanks but trust me I've done more than homework on this issue.  I was hoping to find someone with a little experience in strippers that might encapsulate the paint so I could dispose of it for my painter in a proper way.

Here in Tulsa they seem to think and treat lead issues to cavalier for my taste. On the last job that had some lead issues I had the painter remove all furnishings and draperies cover the floor tightly and double seal the doorways, this I still do. But I had the painters keep the scraped surfaces wet to reduce the airborne issues and had them where cloth disposable jumpers and appropriate masks.

According to a local Doctor that I approached about lead he said that while lead is a serious problem for young developing minds as for adults, if your contact is seldom and not a regular part of your occupation you should have no ill effect. He defined seldom as not more that 1 or 2 times an any given year. This last job dealing with lead was 2 years ago.

In hoping for an encapsulating stripper I'm thinking we could save a lot of time and avoid the problem with wetting surfaces. And reduce our contact risks.

Lead based paints aside if anyone knows of an encapsulating stripper I'd like to here about it. I'll do my homework figuring out if it's appropriate.
Thanks
Bob

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »
I don't understand 'encapsulating stripper'. This means 2 different things to me. To use a stripper is the obvious. Encapsulate (to me) means to prime over it, and effectively 'encapsulate' it prior to applying a finish coat.

I have doing only the encapsulating, as MO state law allows me to do that without a lead abatement certification.

But I have also an enviro-friendly stripper. Not sure if it will work for you or not, but it satisfied a couple of my "green" customers before. Click the link:

http://www.ibacktonature.com/Pages/readystripPRO-PD.html

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »
Some of the "Peelaway" stripper systems use a cover paper onto which the liquidized paint sticks. The paint is removed with the paper and can be handled much more safely ( no airborne particles )

http://www.dumondchemicals.com/html/appsolutions.htm#lead

Best Luck
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ABulick

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:57 PM »

Thanks this is the type of thing I've been trying to find.

ProWallGuy-
sorry  I did mix two different things I realize now. I was thinking encapsulate as the stripper  locking the lead paint into a cloth or paper like peal off product. Encapsulating the lead in mass not allowing it to flake or scatter.

You guys have been great, thanks!

anything