Author Topic: Aluminum windows  (Read 6632 times)

Offline lgarner

• I'm a llama!
Aluminum windows
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:16:15 PM »
A customer has asked me to paint the exterior of his house. He has aluminum windows that are brown, and he wants them painted as well. I told him, that I had no experience in painting that material, and he said he would accept what ever happened as long as I researched it.
My question is, what process do I need to do to get a nice quality job on painting these windows. What type of prime, and paint?

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
Re: Aluminum windows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
I would use a quality latex exterior primer like BM fresh start 023 and top coat it with a 100% latex exterior paint. Don't use oil primer on them.

I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline lgarner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:52:08 PM »
Good info on the primer. But I still am trying to steer the owner with keeping the original paint. I dont want to paint the rail which the window slides on. Which is brown like the window. Soooooo, to solve this issue and to persuade the customer in keeping the same color. I would like to recommmend myself in cleaning them and making them shine a little. He said he tried something a person he met in home depot told him to use. It didnt do much. What could I use to clean them up? Is there a good wax?
My parents own a rv, and we usually use simple green and it worked well. Is that possible to use? Please help, I could save alot of time, and aggrivation with a solution. Thanx

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:55:09 PM »
If you do end up painting them, I'd save yourself a ton of time and hose them down glass and all with masking liquid h2o (with an airless plus backbrush on the aluminum).

http://www.maskingliquidh2o.com/datasheet.html

Then topcoat with a quality acrylic topcoat, let it dry and cut your glass out. done and done.

I use masking liquid h20 on all my wood windows.  Its a great primer supposedly, and the datasheet says it works for aluminum too.

I agree with you tho, if the slides are like brown plastic or vinyl and have to stay that color, It will look funny with the windows painted different.

Offline lgarner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »
Based on the website for this product, i spray the product all on the window, wood and glass. Then, spray the paint on the wood areas. After that, I suppose, run a blade down the edge of panels, then peel away. Is that how it works?

Offline lgarner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »
I saw the video on that product. That is really cool. But I am sold on the idea of just shining up the existing. Is there anything out there to bring the brown aluminum back to life?

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:46:36 AM »
Are the windows anodized or painted?  Anodizing is a chemical process where the anodizing solution is electrochemically bonded to aluminum.  Reanodizing is not an option in this case. Anodizing wears off and dulls over time. There is no good way to restore the luster that lasts.  The mast and boom on my sailboat are anodized. Eventually the color wears off in places.  The solution is to sand the surface, use a chemical to perfect the surface, a primer, then paint with a urethane paint.  A possible solution for the windows is to clean the surface, use UMA primer, then use a urethane topcoat sprayed with a HVLP sprayer.  You could use a latex topcoat  but it will not last as long.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

Offline lgarner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »
What about cleaning the surface, then applying a clear coat to it? Just to regain that shine...

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:36:23 AM »
My knowledge comes mostly from dealing with anodized aluminum on my boat.  I'm not sure a clear coat will do the trick.  It has a lot to do whether the surface is anodized which I suspect it is. Anodizing wears off with time and UV exposure. I'm not aware of any clear coats for this purpose.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
I too would suggest simply cleaning, but you can look into auto urethanes. If there's a body guy in town whose knowledge you trust, have a chat. Auto clearcoats can be purchased in rattlecan form (you can even have custom colors done, though not for cheap), I've used them and they are very hard and durable. I even painted a guitar with PPG auto paint--Love the stuff!

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »
Lgarner - Yep thats pretty much how it works.  Make sure to brush it onto the wood and get it worked well into the glazing and seam (Works wonders stabilizing old cracked glazing btw).  You can just shoot a good spray coat on the glass though.  Also, don't ever use it on any kind of plexiglass... yikes.