Author Topic: Getting Customer's  (Read 7899 times)

Offline twpaints

• I'm a llama!
Getting Customer's
« on: October 21, 2005, 09:44:59 PM »
I would like some information on how to get customer's?  My interest is in doing repaints and drywall repair.  I know the fall of the year the painting business falls off some.  I have been running ads in the classifieds for a few weeks but no calls.  Just curious as to what other ways would get the phone ringing.  Also, I'm in a rural section and the biggest town near me is 35 miles.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:Getting Customer's
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 10:18:58 PM »
Word of mouth, word of mouth, did I mention word of mouth?
In the repaint market it is your best friend or enemy.
On every job do your best work. Be honest with your bid. Show up when you say you will. Respect your customer and their home. Accept the fact that customers sometime change their minds about colors etc. and don't cause a scene if they do. Be friendly, honest, respectful and do good work. Believe me..word will get around.
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 07:43:19 AM »
Time can be a vicious enemy when building a business, especially in less populated areas. Clientele doesn't exactly grow overnight, and the fewer folks who live in your area generally means that there are fewer folks wanting their houses painted. I learned how to build my painting business while working for other contractors, both the right way and the wrong. I have never advertised, never had to.

In my opinion? Do exactly what Rmichael has suggested[/u], because that is exactly how I did it, first in the Phoenix area and, about 4 years ago, again in the remote wastelands of west-central Minnesota. It took me less than a month to become overwhelmed with customers in Phoenix, closer to six months up here before I had to turn anyone away. If there is not a town of +/- 10,000 in your backyard, and with fuel prices the way they are, you have a challenge indeed.

I have friends here in town who paint for a living who also barter for their services...One fella trades painting for everything from dental to meat processing. That is another consideration when trying to develop a clientele. Some people who would otherwise not be interested will often be eager to trade out labor or goods, and those people are also great word of mouth to get your name out there.

Good luck to you...

Offline twpaints

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »
Thanks for replying.  I'll talk to some contractors and see what happens going that route.

anything