Author Topic: calculating 12 foot high celings  (Read 4464 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
calculating 12 foot high celings
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:07:58 PM »
need your help on this,

I have a condo repaint next week, 1 coat on ceilings 2 coats on walls one coat on trim, I'm using Aura line see if I can get away with one coat, master bedroom is 13x13 12 foot high ceilings, would I just calculate the extra 16sq ft into total calculation?

???   :-\

Vin

Re: calculating 12 foot high celings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »
13x13 would be 169 sq. ft.

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
Vin, I know what the 13x13 would calculate, but for the extra height would I add an extra 16 to the 169?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 07:40:14 PM »
13x4 (lin) x12.  624Sq' . Minus doors and wind if you want. (Walls, of course)

I suck at math , but I think I got this one!

;D

But the height doesn't change the ceiling squares, just the hassle factor of getting there.

That's why I usually go with the educated guess at time involved, rather than squares. especially in repaints, the situation is everything.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:02:02 PM »
Vin, I know what the 13x13 would calculate, but for the extra height would I add an extra 16 to the 169?

Ceiling is separate from walls, walls have no baring on the ceiling sq footage , in this case.

Bj has it right good math

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 04:58:15 AM »
thanks, guy's

;D   ;)

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:15:38 AM »
just finished a penthouse condo with 18 ft, curved ceilings. Ceilings also had 2 copper tube and steel braided wire support frames running the length of the curved ceiling. Typical sq.ft measurements of the ceiling and typical time per sq.ft of ceiling went the way of the dodo as soon as I took a look at it. So I visualized in my mind how I would do it and roughly how long it would take me, then tack on a few hours for good measure.

My edumacated guess was pretty spot on.

For a typical 10ft or 12 ft ceiling I simply estimate the room same way I would an 8 ft ceiling. Just add the extra sq.ft to wall area. I find there is no real noticeable time added for a higher ceiling. Ladder movements are the same. I have to cut up there regardless of if its 8 ft or 12. Just the extra time and paint, at the same sq.ft. rate, for the taller walls.

Side note. I rarely, if ever, subtract doors and windows from wall area calculations. The added time to cut around them is covered by the sq.ft rate it takes me to roll the walls. More or less.

anything