Author Topic: Falling paint...mess experiences  (Read 34122 times)

Offline MiTm

Falling paint...mess experiences
« on: May 19, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
Ok I'll start this one off. May also be titled "my dumb moments."
I'm nearly done on a total interior re-paint. Last job is a ceiling
on a paneled room. I am standing on a small ladder...Thought I had moved the paint bucket away from the Back of the ladder...Nope. Stepped off the ladder into the paint bucket...one foot in, paint flies everywhere, shoes, socks soaked.
The canvas drop clothe saved a messy cleanup. No one home to hear
me... :'(
"Each is the Architect of their own Joy and Sorrow"

Offline GreenMtnPainter

Re: Falling paint...mess experiences
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »
Worst for me was when I knocked my airless gun around a little too much and the tip guard game loose.  Forgot to check it, MAJOR backfire.  Ate log home sealer for breakfast.  Wasn't fun.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:04:39 PM »
My Dad was helping us on a large exterior job. Kept telling him he needed to use a drop cloth. His last words were I don't need a drop cloth been doing this long enough I don't drip paint. Two seconds later he dropped his full paint pot on a brand new porch.  :o   Thank goodness it was getting painted. From then on he used a drop cloth. Never to old to learn. :D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline madrugon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:00:10 AM »
After  the job was finished in 2nd floor apartment ...I went downstairs to main entrance which was carpet
the very nice kind.  I was so careful to not leave foot prints  spills, etc . I was happy my day was over around 3 pm that day . It was sunny and a basketball game waiting for me at the club.
There were 2 doors to go through  before you reach the exterior world, however   i put a five  of white ceiling paint on a trolley  and when i run over a  tiny  but powerful  dent    the leads wasn't  tight and the paint spill onto the carpet ( blue carpet , expensive)
I  run , and ruin to get alcohol an clean the mess .. the concierge notice it an  told me the people in that building where a paint in the #$%^    so better clean it asap .
Well I did and It was sort of ironic to hear people  to say that something smells ( denatured alcohol)
they didn't notice no paint ;D
I miss the game and came back hours later to check the carpet after the alcohol has dried

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 01:45:27 AM »
I was cutting in a vaulted ceiling standing on the top of a 6 ft. ladder ( forgot my taller ladder)....Instead of getting down to turn my ladder around, I tip toed to turn around, lost my balance and fell flat on my butt on the tile floor.  My bucket was about 1/4 full and it all ended up on the adjacent wall, which was unsealed cedar, the kind that runs diagonal...yeah so i rushed to soak it with water, cleaned up the tile which wasnt a problem.  I ended up having to rough sand some spots where it dried on the wall.  Also, broke a few small nick nack figurines.  The owner wasnt home, but when he returned, I told him what had happened and he was really cool about it, in fact, he said "Ive been trying to get my wife to get rid of those things anyway..haha!  I ended up with a bruised tailbone for about 4 months.                                                                                             

Vin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »
Dumped over 5 gallon bucket full of paint had to use trowels to pick up the biggest part of the mess and just as I was getting it all up the carpet guys showed up I payed them to suck up the rest and clean the area, got real lucky.

Sprayed a unit once and was told the kitchen floor was being replaced notified the next day it was'nt and had to go back spent about 4 hours with hot water getting all the paint off the floor linoleum.

It happens, eventually :o

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »
About 15 years ago, I was hired to hang a very high-end paper in a designers home. It was a paper-baked raw silk, and it was to go up in the dining room/kitchen area. The stuff was a nightmare to hang, if you looked at it the wrong way, it would stain. The oil in your hands would make it de-laminate from the backing. No paste or water could ever touch the front. You get the picture. After spending 3 days pulling my hair out and cursing like a sailor, I finally finished it. Looked nice. The customer was very pleased, and she cut me the check. I'm standing there chatting with her before walking out the door, and I notice a small pile of paper scraps was sitting on the floor just under the edge of the fridge. Customer says don't worry, I'll get it and throw it away. Oh no, I'LL get it. I snatched it up, and instantly realized a razor blade was in the layer of silk. Before I could blink, the tip of my ring finger falls off, and a jet of blood hits the wall. I had to reorder a couple yards of material, (around $250), and remove/rehang 2 panels. And not just straight floor-to-ceiling panels, these were ones that wrapped around the built in stove, around a corner, and over the bar. That job built lots of character. I raised my prices dramatically after pulling that one off.

Offline rcpainter

• "Only The Best"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
:D Oh boy, where do I start?

1 I stepped off my ladder onto the edge of a roller pan full of red paint while working over white carpet inside the home of personal friend and Deacon in our church. 8) I was about 16 at the time in my weak defense. Fortunately my boss had set it there so he couldn't yell at me. ;D
2 I once put on a pair of stilts during an interior repaint and promptly shattered a clay vase. 8) I rock!
3 I once watched same boss as in #1 spill entire gallon of oil-base on carpet while talking to all of us about how lousy, stupid, slow, supid, incompetent, worthless, overpaid,etc we were. ;D priceless
4 Have two employees who each (seperate incidences two days apart) spilled an entire five of paint in the exact same spot on sidewalk in front of extremely posh condo repaint. :o I was almost expecting a third spill just to top it off. :-\
5 Once had a truck lose a tailgate, GracoGH200 paint sprayer, and five gallons of paint going 65 mph. ::) :-[ :P :'( :-\ I still use the sprayer: runs like a champ. Only had to replace the wheels. :o I couldn't beleive it!

This is too painfull, I,d better stop. :-\
Royal Crest Painting is a fully licensed and insured painting contractor in the state of Florida. With ten years experience, we offer many solutions ranging from drywall finishes and texture, to custom homes, to commercial roof coatings.
Feel free to contact for a written estimate within 24 hours.

Offline MiTm

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the responses...I know it's hard to "come clean" and relate
bloopers.

mark
"Each is the Architect of their own Joy and Sorrow"

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 12:13:20 AM »
Probably the worst thing I've done on a jobsite was take a five gallon bucket, about 1/3 full of oil based trim paint up on the roof of a new construction two-storey house to trim out a chimney box. I rested the bucket between the roof pitch and the chimney. It tipped and the green trim paint ran down the top roof splattering all over the next portion of roof, then spilling on the fresh concrete driveway and garage door. It wouldn't have been such a problem but it was alkyd trim paint  and I was solo on the jobsite with only about half a quart of mineral spirits with me. Fortunately my boss happened to come by about ten minutes after it happened. We got it cleaed up with about three gallons of simple green.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 07:25:18 AM »
Just yesterday we were painting oil-based BM IronClad on some new sign frames out at the WeFest site...My partner set his partials in front of my truck. Shutter Green. Didn't see them...Drove over 'em and made a great nasty puddle right in front of the venue owner's wife...She's one of those Environmental hysterics, and went into environmental hysteria...I'm on the list...

I sopped it up and poured dirt on the stain (it was on a grassy field in front of the stage) to absorb whatever hadn't seeped into the ground....Yep, on the list...I'm now known as the "EcoTerrorist"...

Offline woosterbrushman

• PRODUCT REP.
  • Know the serious from the curious prospect ASAP
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
Ive been in many paint stores and seen someone put a gallon in to a shaker
and the lid was not on tight....

I also saw a customer buy 2 five gallon buckets of paint.  He went to take them out
to his truck using the stores 2 wheel dolly.  Someone ahead of him held the door open
and he went over the door threshhold so fast that BOTH 5 gallon pails fell off the dolly.

This was in a strip shopping mall and that ten gallons of paint went into the parking lot,
(Murphy's law: of course it was at a steep slope away from the building.)  Believe it or not
cars were DRIVING through the paint on their way out of the parking lot and didn't  notice.

I can just picture someone pulling into their driveway miles away and the paint still leaving its mark.   No one ever came back to the store and complained about the mess it made on their cars either.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »
A few winters back we were working nights on a repaint at the local Cadillac dealership. It was a Killer Cold night when we pulled out the oil based safety red and painted all the railings in the customer service area of the pick up bay. The next afternoon I walked into the bay and began removing the "wet paint" signs only to find that the rails were still wet!!  :o  A salesman strolled up and said "yeah, we've been spotting red tailed leaners (customers) all day, so far you have to buy two pairs of women's slacks and one pair of pants, there were a lot more but hell, we just stopped tellin um."   ::)
That night we used two gallons of thinner to wipe the stuff down, popped open a FRESH gallon of safety red and dumped in a hefty dose of japan drier.... the next day no more red tailed leaners were spotted....  ;D

rmichael
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:54:14 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »
About a month and a half ago i was spraying finish coat on my trim. I had one door left and my titan gun popped apart. It popped apart where the gun and hose connect, the hose was connected to the gun still, but the gun was no longer connected to itself. Manor hall gloss sprayed everywhere. It only took a couple of seconds before my instant reaction to put my thumb over the hose, but in that couple second it shot all over the back wall and window, down the hallway, and on the other two opposing wall, and the ceiling. Now this was a big room about 25x 16. I have never had a blow out like this in my life. And i always tell people to ditch the titan gun, and get a contractor 2. I bought the titan one morning in ppg and put it on the rig when i did a couple rebuilds on the contractor2's and just left it on. After i ran down stairs and turned the pump off, i put the rebuilt contractor on. I then had to wipe off the finished ceilings. an all the walls. Then i sprayed my last door and cleaned up. It sucked big time. The thing about it was that gun was only a couple months old. At first i had no idea what had happened until i got the gun cleaned up. I put the gun back together and it looks like it was a fluke, but i will never use that gun again. In hind sight, i could of gotten hurt from the pressure that it blew apart with. 
Sean

Offline am painter

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:31:30 PM »
Okay here it is, my biggest blooper ever! I was spraying an interior new const. custom home. My pump was setup in the gravel soon to be driveway, and my hose ran through the garage into the house. Im in a back room and I suddenly lose pressure, I could hear my pump
cycling slow and knew it was the worst a blown line. I run out to see and sure enough its spraying all over the garage and exterior of the house, like a dumb -ss i grab the line about 12 inches from the rupture to throw it out of the garage. The line coiled on me and injected paint in the middle of my index finger. Thank god for cell phones. I called my wife to take me to the hospital while my helper stayed to clean up the mess. 4 days in the hospital later and 2 surgeries I was out. I still kick my self in the butt for not just shutting off the pump. Well at least they were able to save my finger, and we got the job done. P.S those speeflo 8900's pump like no other.

anything