Author Topic: Falling paint...mess experiences  (Read 34113 times)

Offline JTsPainting

Re: Falling paint...mess experiences
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »
Ok the brass gutters reminded Me of some copper flashing a coupla years ago On a new spec house the builder decids that the copper needs cleaning it turned black prematurly I think it had fingerprints on it and somebody wiped them with solvent stripping off the form oil sortof a blueing anywhay all the rounded peeks turned black while the flashing and the gutters just had fingerprints on them.
I started with the least abrasive thing I could think of on a small inconspikuis{spelling??} place to show the builder what was going to be involved .it could have been polished and clear coated with something like brasso and then XIM but it would have taken months and the heat from the sun was affecting the copper differently in different places it reacts quickly in direct sunlight and very slowly in the shade This house has some high peaks all requiring a 40 foot ladder .so all of the work was done with difficulty small bits at a time .the peaks are all about 25 square feet kind of rounded dormers with sun on one side or the other all the time during daylight .He was not happy or satisfied with the productivity .so I pulled back and did small samples of left over flashing .I tried many different methouds and some acid salts for a petina effect He finaly settled for one a greanish blue color something like the color of the statue of liberty .
 Well then I get back up on the peek and to clean faster I use muratic acid and quickly rince with water and He freaks because the copper turns kinda pink .the effect is almost instant and very bright I then apply the acid salts and they work quickly on the sunny side and not at all on the shady side of the peek I tell him it takes time .He's still freaking out telling Me how expensive this stuff is and is asking Me if i know what I'm doing all the time  ::) and I'm yelling down from the 40 footer just Be patient .about three days latter and I have the color I want and its kinda evenly done all around and I ask him if thats what He wants and he says thats beutiful and so then I clear coat it and now its too shinny for Him  :P It's 40 feet away at the closest place and You cant really see any shine I think he simply just changed his Mind decided he didn't want to pay to have all ten dormers done .So now I gotta spend the next two days cleaning this dormer .and its pink again and he's freaking He wants it black like the rest So I wipe it with mineral spirits and tell Him to wait a week and it'll start to turn like the rest and he looks at Me like I have two heads .Then He says what about all the other copper that hasn't turned yet and has finger prints all over it .so I spray only the pieces that havent turned black yet with the muratic and I rince them and then wipe them with mineral spirits and He's freaking and Im feeling like a nurse Now with some really calm bedside manor and I say be patient . :o A week later and it looks kinda streaked but turning nicely all the same color  ; the owner is looking at Me like im some kind of Master painter . ???evil magicion?And He said Maby We should polish all the copper?
I looked at Him like He has two heads and said maby You should polish the copper?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:31:06 AM by JTsPainting »

Offline JTsPainting

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 06:14:38 AM »
Ok, this story was told to me, so its second hand .But still worth the read  ;D sometimes We just dont realize the power we weld  :o
  As a student in paint school we pestered our instructor to tell us some interesting story till the bell rang one Friday afternoon He was a 35 year vetran of the trade and he must have some good ones  :-X
 He reluctlantly says Ok but dont repeat this cause I dont want anybody thinking I'm condoning what happened but it was kinda funny ;D
 So he asks me James He says You're from Denver right you Might know this place or if you go there You'll recgnize it when You do go there .way out east Colfax there's a bar its on the edge of town east of Chambers before Airport blvd It's called the Rose ?or Red Rose ? something like that .It is right across from a trailer park in a motel like the back half of the building is a motel .
 So anywhay My buddie we'll call Him Frank He and I go to this Bar everyday after work .Have a coupla beers and shoot the breeze .Mainly because My buddie is a drunk but also because if frank gets too drunk He can walk across the street to where He lives at the trailer park .And leave His truck someplace He can walk back to in the morning to go to work .
 So we have this particularly bad week Frank had made some white wash stain for some exterior sealer stain and the owner let us work with it all week and at the end decided it was too thin or frank had made it too thin and she wanted us to do it again for free just to make shure she got her monies worth .
Frank hadn't said anything at the time but You could tell he was upset about it .
 We are sitting at the bar and Frank says to the bartender :"Hey do You have something a little stronger "?Not expensive cause I just worked all week for free and I gotta Make up for it next week so im too poor to pay full price .
 Well the bartender says for You i got some shine the way it works is I put it in Your beer and it gets you really drunk for half the price .Frank thinks this is good so says right on .Lets say about three beers later Frank isn't doing any better and starts making too much noise about the stain and so the bartender cuts off the both of them .no More booze for You Two She says .Now Frank wanting to Make his point goes out to his truck grabs half a five of white wash stain runs into the bar and because the bartender cut him off says This is the stain and throse it all over the bar the bartender My instructor and the floor the tables the whole place wreaks of lindseed oil and mineral spirits milky white everywhere .Frank all of a sudden realizing what He did  :o Runs to His truck hops in drives to his home packs His things and rents another place on the other side of town till He can get paid from the job and He can get outa town .

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »
17 years ago when I had just started painting my buddy and I were working for his dad. It was just me and him on a job. He was on a 4 foot ladder with a paint tray of oil kilz. He was pretty spaced out from rolling that stuff and dropped about 1/3 gallon on the carpet. We scooped up all we could and then he got down on and started scrubbing with laquer thinner. I was in another room working and when I went to check on him he was goofy high and sitting on the floor pouring the laquer thinner like it was water on a fire. He was wearing painter shorts and back then after a few washes those things would be really short. Pretty soon he started complaining of pain on his legs and butt. After everything was clean he was so miserable that we had to leave. I was only 15 but had to drive him home while he curled up in the passenger seat moaning. When we got home he immediately stripped and jumped in the bathtub. He ended up having pretty bad burns on the backs of his legs, his butt and a cetain area that is pretty crucial to reproduction. All that skin eventually peeled of. It's funny now but was horrible then. I never heard anything about the carpet but I'm sure all that thinner delaminated a large area.

anything