Author Topic: What type roller cover for doors?  (Read 22303 times)

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
Re: What type roller cover for doors?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 01:43:35 AM »
I use foam rollers when working with oil. And I brush the paint out after. Being that I'm Brushing, I use the roller to quickly apply paint, not worrying if I get full coverage. I roll out the top half of door first, then brush it, then roll bottom half and then brush. If i try to roll the whole door the paint begins to set up before i finish brushing it out.

My brush stokes are aligned as would be the grain of the wood of the door, or how wood would go if the door was wood instead of steel, or fake wood grain.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 06:48:17 AM »
Another vote for the mohair here.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
I always back brush, so the roller type is more about how much you need to put on.  Mohair's fine, I think the secret is the XIM extender, no matter the roller.   
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline am painter

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »
Ditto, I use the 1/4 inch 6 " weenie on flat doors, and with the km dura poxy they lay down like glass. When using other latex enamels we thin them, roll the paint on with a 1/4 inch nap then lay it off with a sponge roller. Make sure to use the six inch long sponge with a round end. The flat ends leave lines , and the 4 " takes too long. The trick to this is too work fast. I do a standard 6'8" door in 2 sections. Working from top to bottom.

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 10:28:45 PM »
Vin, what roller cover did you use? Wooster pro tiz? I have had good results using dura-poxy, but have only brushed and sprayed it; never tried it with a roller but it just so happens that the job I am on now has several flat, smooth doors that need to be rolled in place. I was going to give the Pro-Tiz cover a try.