Author Topic: Start-up tips and resources  (Read 5085 times)

Offline 11Painter

Start-up tips and resources
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »
hello all,

Does anyone know where I could find some resources for starting up my painting business? (ie. Business Plans, Marketing Plans, Financial Start-up Info, Helpful painting procedures, the Bidding Process ect.) Is there any secret for success?

I have seen a couple of ebooks online like, startapaintingbusiness.com and startwallpainting.com but am leery to buy them, and want to know if anyone out there has purchased an online ebook. If you have, I'd like to hear some reviews about these websites.

Also, I have tried other places like the library and local resources, but everything seams to be redundant and boring. If there are any blogs or websites that can help a budding entrepreneur like myself, please reply.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: Start-up tips and resources
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
Start off with "The E-myth Contractor". Can be found right here:
http://www.amazon.com/E-Myth-Contractor-Contractors-Businesses-About/dp/0060938463/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/102-0896925-2516947?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181450405&sr=8-4

Offline 11Painter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »
Thanks ProWallGuy,

I have read "the E-Myth" a couple times, which is very educational, but not the "Contractor" version. I am just curious about the ebooks online and perhaps other online resources.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
The contractor version is just that, the e-myth geared toward contractors instead of other business types. Not sure of any online resources or ebooks, but things that can be ordered online. Check out the PDCA's manuals.

Estimating Guide Vol. 1
Estimating Guide Vol. 2 Rates & Tables
The Business of Painting

Michael Stone's Markup & Profit

I'd also highly suggest joining NAPP, the National Alliance of Professional Painters.
They are an excellent source for the business end of painting.

There are a ton more books and whatnot out there, but I'd start there.

Also forums like these are priceless too.