Author Topic: "Drivit" repair  (Read 5653 times)

Offline loumiron

"Drivit" repair
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:31:30 AM »
I have an upcomming project that has a bit of a "Drivit" type coating to repair. I am calling it 'Drivit" because that is the only thing I know to call this stuff. You see it sometimes on commercial buildings. Its a sprayed on texture type exterior coating. Its size is between a sand finish like seen in modular homes and regular popcorn cielings. Do any of you repair this stuff regularly? Every time I see it its been applied over poly insulation panels, dirrectly onto the panel with no mesh or scratch coat. I cant seem to find a repair mix for it so I always have to take top coat, water it down and add some mason sand. Obviously thats not perfect but at least you dont notice it when its up 20 feet. I would like to start repairing this stuff properly. I will get a picture and post it when I get a sec.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
Re: "Drivit" repair
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:40:25 AM »
I think the term for the stuff is "Stucco".

the PAINTSMITH

Re: "Drivit" repair
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:18:45 AM »
Yeah...I think you're describing either a "dashcoat" or "sand" finish. Whether stucco or Dryvit, keep one thing in mind--In fact, say it out loud to the customer; "A patch is a patch is a patch is a patch ia a..."

I've never seen a Dryvit patch blend--EVER--No matter if I did the repair or anyone else. Drivit is a "Get it right the first time" kind of material...

Especially a dashcoat finish...

Do what you can to find the manufacturer and product, ask the customer if there's a storeroom where leftovers from construction were stored. If it's a synthetic stucco you're going to be best off with the original can of sauce, especially considering color...

After you've done all that--------RUN FOREST! RUN!!!!

anything