Author Topic: help need info  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Billy The Painter

help need info
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
So I got this 4100 sq ft new const. All thinset plaster. (by the way all thanks for primer info checked my Shermee guys and went with prep rite interior masonary primer). cheaper than fresh start 18.00 gal my cost felt better using masonary rather than all purpose primer.
Anyhow i bid this job for flat white ceilings flat off white walls .
met customer today and she wants to paint all ceilings and walls with Ralph Lauren river-rock yes i did'nt stutter river-rock.
ok i've used sand stone before and this is simaler.
I told them this will almost triple cost of job money isn't the problem.
what i'm asking is .
1. anyone familar with this home depot @#$$$%.
2. is this sprayable with a .021  .025 tip maybe??
3. i'm guessing about 100 sq ft a gallon.+or-50.
any tips for using this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:11:39 PM by Billy The Painter »

Vin

Re: help need info
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »
I've used it once, rolled and cut with it so if I remember right it's thin paint ? so you can probably go with the small tip if spraying.

Bill you better do some research i'm not finding good results back for that product, heres a sample

http://forum.doityourself.com/painting/299000-raulph-lauren-river-rock-paint-lines.html
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:28:55 AM by Vin »

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »
She does not want to do that to her new house.  There is no aesthetic justification.  Whether it's crap from Home Depot or not, from a conceptual stand point, coating the entire interior of a home with RL River Rock is a very poor design choice.  That much of the *same* texture enveloping such a mass of space does not a proper environment make for humans to function.

Straight up, it's not a good plan and she/he should reconsider.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:32:55 PM by funcolors »
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
The is no accounting for taste...  :)  but I agree with funcolors... way too much of a questionably good thing...  :-\
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Faron79

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:44:18 PM »
Ooooohhhh...ouch....RL River-Rock all over :P?!?!?!
(I wouldn't do it, and we SELL RL!!! We're NOT a HD. Just an upscale "Independant"-hdwr./decorating center. C2 is our high-end line.)

The RL Suede is much more popular. But even THIS finish has the same "restrictions" as RR.

I would also counsel against this 0:>)!
* It's not washable, and kind of a pain to touch-up.
* It can be fussy to apply.
* I'd only use this in "Quiet-use" rooms...Studies, Offices, Formal-Dining, maybe a bedroom-accent wall, etc.
* It only goes about half as far as "normal" paint too...

Dear Lord...Did she work with a BAD Decorator :o!?!??

Fun-C...I think you're needed at this Woman's house :-*!!!

Faron
Hmmmm, people spend $$$$$ on furnishings...
BUT, Oh my God, that paint is $40/gaL!!
It's the most noticeable part of an interior!!

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:41:01 AM »
Billy,

I have used this stuff a few times and you asked for tips:     First of all I can tell you to ditch, dump, disregard the directions on the website or can and you don't really need to use their speciality tools;   I use a 4 & 6" whizz (for better control-messy stuff).    I also use a 4" colorwash brush  or a double loaded wide chip brush.

Expect splotchiness, streaks, uneven overlaps if you don't cross hatch them out.

This product takes more than you account for.    Expect at least 2 to 3 coats depending on color and depth of applicaton.

Base coat in a similar color (eggshell)

It is a little more durable than suede, but that is not saying alot. 

Keep the grandule paint stirred often.

cut in and cross hatch it all for for a more forgiving look.

Just can't imagine someone wanting to use this for "ceilings and walls";   not to mention all over .

Sounds like she wants a stone texture.  There are way better products out here to achieve this kind of look.  If you haven't used the RR I would definitely practice some first and remember practicing on just a small sample board is going to be nothing like working with the big picture of ceilings and walls.   

Expect to see a lot of movement and variation with the finish.  It just won't be a one smooth finish.

Like the others, I would either use a different stone product or use this for certain room applications.

Oh and forgot to mention,  don't use your good cut in brushes for this.  Nev-r , ev-r.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:42:37 AM by DecorativeWalls »

anything