Author Topic: XIM Peel Bond Question  (Read 34277 times)

Offline GreenMtnPainter

XIM Peel Bond Question
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »
First off, let me say that my whole operation has changed this year thanks to PeelBond.  What an incredible product.  It works just as good as tommyboy says it will and it is truly an amazing product.  It's hard to describe just what it does without seeing it for yourself, but applying it to 150 year old wood that you could destroy with your fingernails seems to turn it into what feels like solid plastic. It also really helps hide and stabilize cracking and alligatoring, and I cant wait to see the long term results from the jobs I am using it on this year.  I'd recommend any of you exterior guys to give it a try if you havent yet.  I have gone through over 80 gallons of it so far this summer and I keep my local SW store cleaned out (for some reason they only buy like 15 gallons at a time, So I stock up constantly).

Anyway, now that I am done touting the glory of the product, I have a question about a possible limitation.  I have a house coming up in a couple months that is an ideal Peelbond job. Alligatoring and severe cracking everywhere, and practically unscrapable unless I want to rent a jackhammer.  The problem is that the existing paint is completely polka-dotted with little brown nailhead rust stains.  I know that usually a good stain-blocking oil primer would be the best to contain rust, but will Peelbond do the job as well? At this point it would just about kill me to switch back to using nasty drippy messy oil primer after being spoiled with the ease of use and exceptional results Peelbond has been providing.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: XIM Peel Bond Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »
GMP- Isn't it great when you find a product that changes your life!  I can't help you with the nail Q, and I hope Tommyboy sees this and pops in.
  Another Q I have for TB, or perhaps request for him to throw at his chemists at XIM, is it would be really nice to have Peelbond be pigmented, so you were also getting a little coverage while you were at it.

And also for you experimenters out there...
I was enameling an oak door recently, and I wondered how peelbond would work for a grain filler? Hmm.  Didn't do it, but it's a thought.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
Peel Stop by Zinsser works just as well.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
...but doesn't have the build/self leveling...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:49:31 AM »
A few things about PB.
Prime the rusty nails with a product like XIM 360. I know of some contractors who do it with an aeresol version.

Peel Bond does not have any TiO2 in it. You can tint it which produces a translucent color or you can put up to a quart per gallon of topcoat if you need limited hiding.

Peel Bond versus Peel Stop. Not even close to being the same animal.  Application thickness 30 mils versus 6mils? Peel Stop requires an additional primer coat, is less flexible, and less filling. Peel Bond is truly a unique product. Most painters don't believe it untill they use it.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 06:20:01 PM »

And also for you experimenters out there...
I was enameling an oak door recently, and I wondered how peelbond would work for a grain filler? Hmm.  Didn't do it, but it's a thought.

Might work really well.  I know it smoothes out rough grain on exterior clapboards quite nicely.  Only problem is I doubt it would be sandable after (is peelbond sandable?), plus interior requires a bit more precision than exterior, ie, outside it might be "ooh thats real nice and smooth", but inside that might become "what the **** did you do to my door!?"

I think I'll be trying a little peelbond on my inteior work this winter, just to see what happens.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »
Peel Stop requires an additional primer coat

Tommy, are you sure about that?

I would agree a primer may be needed when changing colors. But primer has never been needed in my
experience when repainting in like colors with high quality paint.

What products do you represent?

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »
http://www.zinsser.com/wtb-PeelStop.asp?sid=10&wid=66

Peel stop is a binding primer. I like the stuff myself.   

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 12:59:31 AM »
Peel Stop Data Sheet:  http://www.zinsser.com/PDF/TDB/peelstop.pdf
Priming and mils are addressed on page 2.   It does say a primer may be applied over Peel Stop since it is clear and priming may be necessary to "achieve hide" because it can not be tinted.

Peel Bond Data Sheet: http://www.ximbonder.com/upload/pdfs/Peel%20Bond%20Data%20Sheet%201146.pdf  Can't find anything about sanding.  Universal tint can be added or up to 1/2 pint per gallon of topcoat.

Seems like Peel Stop speaks to different issues than Peel Bond.  Possible that both are fine products with different applications?  Possible that Peel Bond has more diverse applications than Peel Stop?

Brush, I know Tommy Boy works for XIM.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:13:29 AM by funcolors »
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Vin

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »
I've used peel stop and it did the job I was after just to stop peeling but i'd like to try the peel bond on my moms  patio cover with alot of flaking off spots, hey Tommy how about a sample quart ;D i'll be needing probably a gallon or more eventually, job is set for end of summer.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 11:15:21 AM »
Ya! good Idea!  sample gals all around!  Tommy's buying!    ;D

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »
Never tried peelbond but I'm going to get some tomorrow and check it out.
Starting a outside job Monday 7/9/07 I'll let everybody know how it works.
It ain't easy being cheesy

Vin

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »
Ya! good Idea!  sample gals all around!  Tommy's buying!    ;D

TOMMY

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 08:51:39 PM »
I am just stating what is on their can
"Application Methods – Shake or stir before using. Do not thin.
Apply with brush and/or roller or airless sprayer. Back brush or
roll to work product into cracks and edges of old paint. When
properly applied, PEEL STOP should dry to a slight sheen. Apply
a second coat if dull spots appear. For best brushing
performance use quality synthetic bristle brushes. Natural bristle
brushes are not recommended for use with this product. In most
cases only one coat is necessary to prime most surfaces. If
excessive absorption occurs over very porous substrates a
second coat may be necessary. Spot priming is recommended
only under high-hiding topcoat paints. For best results prime
entire surface before painting.
Keep container closed when not
in use."

Of course I rep Peel Bond.  Peel Stop is not really a competitor since its use is a bit different. Peel Bond not only penetrates but it is a bridging high build primer. Anyone who tries to use it, be aware that application is a bit different. When you open the can you will notice that it is thicker than any other primer that you have seen.  Painters who use a lot of it use a method called "glop and top".  They glop a large amount on the surface with their brush and then "ice" it by pulling the brush across it at a shallow angle.  Most experienced painters will want to brush it out like an ordinary primer which puts it on very thin. That's ok if you are just after the penetrating and sealing qualities but doesn't do much for the bridging, building and leveling qualities.  Max recommended application thickness in 1 coat is 30mils wet although it doesn't start to sag on vertical surfaces until about 50  mils. E-mail me if you have any other application questions.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
Painters who use a lot of it use a method called "glop and top". 

In my case it's "Spray a Lot and Top"  Gloping would be too slow! ;D

anything