Author Topic: Purdy or Wooster?  (Read 27241 times)

Offline loumiron

Purdy or Wooster?
« on: July 11, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »
I get Jobsite magazine. They have an ad that states pro painters rate Purdy over Wooster 80% to 20%. I think thats bull because they both are great.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
Re: Purdy or Wooster?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »
Purdy, brush most used, 3 & 1/2 xl swan.
Sean

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »
You'll find a few discussions about brush's on the forum.

They are both great, but the sentiment among many pro's here is that Purdy brushes have taken a drop in their quality. Since SW took them over, and they became the supplier to big box stores like HD.

I used to be a Purdy Fan for a long time, but have been growing very fond of the Wooster's. I really like the in-house brand at ICI stores (made by Wooster).

There are some Corona fans here too. The only Corona's available where I am (BM just brought them in recently) are just way too thin for my liking.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »
When using heavy bodied waterborne paints I only use the GENX brush, which is Chinex OR, the Wooster Advantage.

Corona is the ultimate brush, in my opinion. I have several of the Tacoma and Cortez on hand.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:20:02 PM »
Corona brushes are my favorite by far. I recently picked up a Wooster Ultra Pro Firm 2.5" to give it a try. It performs okay and I used it with good results on two recent jobs, but I still prefer the Coronas.

Jared

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 05:11:28 PM »
Also a huge corona fan.  Such a pleasure to work with.  I love the tynex & chinex brushes especially, also they make one of the better oxhair brushes I've used.

Wooster also makes excellent brushes, no matter what name they brand it with.  (NOT a huge fan of the Wooster-made ICI white china brushes tho, I find they shed too much for my liking.  Other than that, great stuff.)

I own a few Purdy brushes but very rarely buy new ones.  The hockey stick brushes can be very handy, and I have used a couple of Purdy "prototype" 100% chinex brushes - I actually loved them.  These 2 brushes were sent to me by an employee of the Purdy factory up in Oregon, they were both 2.5" chinex brushes but one had a super-fine bristle, about half the diameter of my Corona chinex bristles.  Super-fine finish.  If these are ever released, I'll be buying Purdy again...  until then, I'll stick with Corona & Wooster primarily.

They have an ad that states pro painters rate Purdy over Wooster 80% to 20%.

Probably 80% of painters in my area are so cheap that they buy the lowest grade of coatings they can get at Walmart, BigLots, Sears, or a big box...  since most or all of these guys have never set foot in a real paint distributor before, they don't know where to get Wooster brushes.  So the question becomes:  where did they get their pros to survey in order to come up with this 80% figure?   To get this kind of statistic, I'd think they were gathering their "pro opinions" in the big orange box's parking lot.  ;)

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »
I've always been and still am a Purdy fan. I guess old habits die hard. They were the first brush I ever used and looking back it's the brush company all the contractors I worked for over the years used. But I have to agree the buy out by SW has done nothing to improve their line of brushes.I did order a 6" Purdy Pacer the other day. Can't wait to get that bad boy in. After reading comments about Wooster and Corona I think I'll buy some of each and give'em a try.
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline loumiron

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »
Where can I buy a Corona in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan?

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »
I'm 100% Wooster. Can't think of anything Purdy that I personally use. I know some of my painters use their brushes, but I've never been a fan of them. I assume SW will degrade their line given time.

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:26:38 AM »
Quantity over quality started happening with Purdy when they started suppling the big boxes. Don't remember if that was before the SW buyout or not.
The only Wooster brush I've ever really used is a Yachtsman. The guy I worked for at the time used to say "best cheap brush you can buy" It was a good brush after it shed bristles for a day or two. I'll get me a couple of Wooster's today.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 09:20:59 AM »
I used Yuksmans for years. And they went to hades a few years ago. IMO- the best cheap oil brush for my use is now a Purdy 2" "cutie".  Keeps it's shape and cutting edge pretty long.

For Latex, I'm using wooster 2" "ermine" super pro. My stores don't carry them , but I make them order them in occasionally for me.  The stiffness and edge make it a great cut in detailer.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »
I used purdy up until 8 months ago or so and i'm TOTALLY 100% WOOSTER my purdys are now duster  ;)

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:14:42 AM »
I use Purdy for staining and varnishing, Wooster for everything else.  I've always thought that the bristle diameter in a Purdy was bigger than in a Wooster.  Bigger bristles give you more brushmarks.  Plus it seems like the Woosters just have more bristles...more bristles enable you to cut closer and tighter I think.  More painters use Purdy I think because the Purdy name is just more well known than Wooster.  I used to work for a pretty big painting crew and most of those guys used Purdy just because they didn't know Wooster was better.  The painters that taught them how to paint used Purdy so that was what they used. 

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
hmmmm  ...  interesting thread....
been using purdy since '80 and have noticed a significant change in bristle quality and density of my fave XL Glide since SW bought them out..
thanks all for the heads up about Wooster, i'm sure to give em a try soon....

Be Well
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 08:04:00 PM by UUjohn »
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 07:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the Wooster heads up.....
We got started this morning painting outside, exposed rafter building. Everybody had their fav Purdy. Went to the paint store and bought 2 U/P Sable soft,1 U/P Sable firm, 2 U/P Jaguar firm, all 3" When I got back told my guys to clean the Purdy's up we're goin to try something new. I didn't personally get to use any of them(dang sheetrock work for me) but heard nothing but good about them. Everybody liked them a lot. Don't know if I'm converted but I do know I'll be getting some more. Next....Corona! I've known nothing but Purdy for 37 years. Never too old to learn. ;)