Author Topic: advice on applying Urethane to tabletop  (Read 5231 times)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
advice on applying Urethane to tabletop
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:27:41 PM »
Ok this table top is built into a sun-room eating area of a new-construction house we have just finished up. they have moved in and I see no way i can spray it. The table has 3 coats of Zip-Guard Urethane on it now. Its a large table surrounded by a U shaped bench\window seat.

I tried rolling it out with a 1/8 mohair cover then back brushing it. But the roller sheds... I even wrapped it in tape a few times to defuzz it, then gave it a thinner rinse, spun it out then vacuumed it off.. and still I got lint in the finish!

Any suggestions? tia

Vin

Re: advice on applying Urethane to tabletop
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
I have done several pieces of furniture I always used nothing but a brush , got very few brush marks but not perfect.

Can you put an enclosure of some sot around it ?

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:22:56 AM »
Ya i usually brush also. but this table is like 8 x 8.  ??? maybe i should just get a big block brush?

You think a lambswool pad would put an even finish on it? I worry about it going on to heavy though.

I thought about enclosing it in plastic but worry about the over-spray trapped in there settling on the table top.

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:29:16 AM »
Ya might try this....using a 9'  roller drill a really small hole in the end piece on the frame side (round plastic piece that actually holds the cover in place) find a finish nail that will fit in that hole snuggly   use a foam cover and roll the varnish out,put the nail in the hole and that will stop the roller from spinning effectively turning it into a 9" back brush. 'Brush' the varnish out to a glass like finish.
I would also reccomend thinning with a little penetrol to delay setup time.
Learned this when I worked at a sign shop back in the day. It's the smoothest way to finish something other than spraying. Only problem is it's impractical except on big flat surfaces like 4X8 sheets of plywood or table tops.
Good luck wid it
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 06:37:42 PM »
I'd add some penetrol and use a lambswool (floor) pad for application, a cheap foam "brush" should work fine for small areas like edges, etc... BTW IMO the poly should not be thick, two or three thin coats will work better...

Good Luck
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:40:40 PM »
I second the Penetrol advice. It keeps the material from "pulling".

All the tabletops I've ever done were topped with Varathane. I love the stuff. We have an old oak table used for knick-knacks and the kid's play table. I finished it with Varathane 20 years ago--Still without a scratch...The Penetrol will help the thane stay wet till it lays down and leaves hardly a brushmark...

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
Varathane Diamond...makes great table tops!

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 12:52:23 AM »
Thanks alot for your input  ;)

Yes I use penatrol alot. Love the stuff.
Varathane huh? never used it. looking forward to trying it though.

And yes rmichael a few thin coats its the ticket.

Thanks again for all your help. Glad to see such a good response... very helpful members here.

anything