Author Topic: air assisted airless?  (Read 9273 times)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
air assisted airless?
« on: July 29, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I want to buy a sprayer for spraying lacquer/urethane.

Anyone here use an air assisted airless? Was looking at one the other day
and wondered if they are worth a try.

Vin

Re: air assisted airless?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:34:16 AM »
There not very cheap do you plan on using it a lot? I've never even seen one so have no opinion to give

Offline Fred

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 06:56:47 AM »
Hey Bauer,
 I purchased the cap spray air assisted airless last year and love the finish it produces, It really beats  hvlp as far as production and the finish is just as good. Now for the down side, the unit is very finicky. the unit must be kept clean, as does the product your spraying. unclogging the spray tip is a real pain, the new units I've seen this year have the reversible tips on them which should help but don't know how that will effect the finish. If you've any other questions please feel free.
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »
Yeah they are pricey. :P

Maybe i'll get another 440i.
I have been using an HVLP for clear coats, but spraying 40-50 doors with it gets old.

Thanks for your input Fred. Finicky pump doesn't sound good. I tend to neglect mine from time to time ;D so that might not be good.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
Yeah a separate 440i will work good and will cost a lot less.
I have looked at the graco 395 air assisted rig. Pricey, for the cost i could buy another 695.
Sean

Offline jaz

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:19:07 AM »
thought id bring an old post back up. seeing it has been a while i was wondering if there are any new opinions on the air assisted set up. my airless is on the way out and am getting a bit sick of the constance refilling and slow production of the hvlp so am looking at the graco 395 fine finish. Baeur said it was finicky. how so or more so than hvlp. cheers

Offline beetlejuice

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »
Wow, I got excited for a second... I thought my buddy Bauer was back, until I realized it was an old post. Funny enough I am doing research on the CAPspray AirCoat, myself. Found them refurbished at gleempaint.com for $900 bucks (normaly $1800). It sound like a great machine. -Beetle

Jared

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
I've heard great things about the CapSpray rig, Beetle.  Never heard a single complaint about 'em.  (But I've never handled one personally...)  We do have a few members here who own 'em, perhaps one will pop in and give you a firsthand review.  If you haven't already, a general forum search will result in at least a few threads which mention or discuss this rig.

I too would like to hear from Bauer, I hope he's doing well.

Offline Fred

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »
OK, I can't help you find Bauer. But I can help you with the Aircoat. I looked at the one offered at gleem and if I was going to buy now it would be the new style which has a reversable tip on it, I have the older model and it really is a pain. it's setup like a cap spray and is very hard to deal with when you get clogs. I use it on all my painted trim work(new construction) I've only rebuilt the paint pump once in 4 years, it's a diaphragm type which causes them to be very picky about what they're pushing, not to mention they must be kept very clean, and they hate the cold. Feel free to write me if you have specific questions. To be totally honest I'd go with the new Graco Air assisted. Hmmm in fact if you'd like to buy a used Aircoat lol
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......