Author Topic: estimating time  (Read 6826 times)

Offline KG

• I'm a llama!
estimating time
« on: November 15, 2005, 04:25:39 PM »
Earlier this year, I started painting apartment units and remodels as a side job (hobby) for my families business.  I've had some other contractors want me to quote them a price and do some work for them.  I have only done the painting for my family to make a little extra money at something I enjoy.  I was just wondering how to estimate the amount of time a project should take, or what is acceptable.  I don't want to rip anyone off, including my family, and I don't want to short change myself.  I know there are a lot of variables.  So lets just say a repaint with an average amount of prep time and a decent surface.  Thanks  ::)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:estimating time
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:21:26 PM »
KG,

You might consider doing a few jobs on a Time and Material basis. before you jump into sq ft bidding.
Just quote a hourly rate with a estimated completion time. You can let the customer provide materials or if you provide them add 25%- 30% to the retail material cost for your handling / setup.
A lot of big contractors are using T&M bids as opposed to sq ft. simply because you can't get burned with add ons, hold ups, and unexpected time delays.

Good Luck,

rmichael  pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
Re:estimating time
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »
there are as many different ways to estimate as there are paint contractors. and it is great that you have come to this
forum of professionals for this advice. also you might want to
purchase a copy of the R.S.Means paint production data cd.
there is a wealth of information for beginner contractors like yourself as well as seasoned pros.

anything