Author Topic: Definition of success  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
Definition of success
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »
I was told recently by somebody to "surround yourself with successful people and you too will be successful".  I've done some thinking about this and would like to share my opinions with all of you. 

Success as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary is "The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted".  So for example, if someone plans to save $1000 dollars to buy something they desire and they achive that goal...Success!  Or, If someone is trying to have a baby, and they achieve that...Success!.  I believe success is subjective, like art.  It's all in how you look a it.  I believe I took a little offence to this comment, hence i'm venting on this forum.  I do not own my home, i'm not a millionaire, I don't hire somebody to clean my house, but I have achived some goals.  I own  a vehicle, I have my own business, and most importantly, I am happy.  Not content, but happy where I am, because I still have goals to achieve.  I am successful in my eyes, not because I surround myself with successful people, but because I have made baby steps and been successful in little things.

Any thoughts? 

Jared

Re: Definition of success
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »
Success, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I find it interesting that many wealthy, miserable people perceive themselves as "more successful" than those who make enough to get by, but are happy people.

Everyone creates their own defining attributes relating to the concept of success, thus everyone's perception of it will be at least slightly different.  What a wonderfully dynamic concept!

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »
I have seen & worked for many wealthy people but seen very few of them really happy. They are always wanting more or  afraid everyone is out to get them or their money. Most of us working class people seem to be happier.

lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Crystalball

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »
The definition of success varies between people. In general we could say success is the accomplishment of an aim or rationale.
I am searching for reliable damp proofing solutions for my damp walls

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »
Success had different meanings to different people, I think you success is an inner feeling of going for what you want and getting it.  This could be happiness, love, living a fun life, wealth, business success.  Great Topic

House Painters Jacksonville FL

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »
I was told recently by somebody to "surround yourself with successful people and you too will be successful".  I've done some thinking about this and would like to share my opinions with all of you. 

Success as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary is "The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted".  So for example, if someone plans to save $1000 dollars to buy something they desire and they achive that goal...Success!  Or, If someone is trying to have a baby, and they achieve that...Success!.  I believe success is subjective, like art.  It's all in how you look a it.  I believe I took a little offence to this comment, hence i'm venting on this forum.  I do not own my home, i'm not a millionaire, I don't hire somebody to clean my house, but I have achived some goals.  I own  a vehicle, I have my own business, and most importantly, I am happy.  Not content, but happy where I am, because I still have goals to achieve.  I am successful in my eyes, not because I surround myself with successful people, but because I have made baby steps and been successful in little things.

Any thoughts?

That's a great and positive attitude!
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
Success Is the ability to get what you want out of life.  It could be a certain amount of financial success, amount of joy in your life, fulfilling relationships, health, or all of the above.  Personally I am going for it all..  ;D

Straight Edge Painting LLC
Painting Contractor Jacksonville FL