Author Topic: What is the best exterior paint  (Read 58986 times)

Offline 98mustangguy

What is the best exterior paint
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »
OK I have used Behr regular and ultimate, American Traditions, Olympic, Glidden, Sherwin Williams Duration and i think A100?. Out of these I prefer Behr but what does everyone else here prefer and if you like another company ex.Benjamin Moore  ect post it here. Obviosly I am new here and only paint for side jobs so I dont get to try to many companies out, but would like to see what everyone else likes so I have an idea of what I Should and should not try. If possible could you give me a real brief explanation of what you like also( ie.  good hide/ good coverage/ good adhesion to certaint substrates ect) By the way I do almost all exterior painting thanks in advance for all the help

Offline paint57

Re: What is the best exterior paint
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
If you want to use the best then try Pittsburgh Manor Hall Timeless. It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for. You'll notice the quality after just a couple of brushfulls.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »
Pittsburgh manor hall is all right, but i prefer using ICI Durus gloss or semi depending on what i am using it for.
LOL, ICI Dulux is what i meant to say. I do like there int/ext durus for interior trim.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:35:56 PM by Workaholic »
Sean

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »
We used Pratt & Lambert until the SW buyout years back, then we switched to Devoe's Weather King.. a really great exterior paint for use in low temps, also ICI's Dulux exterior semi-gloss has high end properties at a reasonable price.... JMHO...
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
I like Sherwin Williams Duration. Pricey but a very nice finish.

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
I've had great longevity with Porter Paints.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:40:53 PM »
To quote from an old post, "As for HD's line: i'd rather leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"

I've really been enjoying using the SW Duration this summer.

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »
I'm not a fan of Behr at all.  Whoever rated them number one must have never tried to use anything else. 
The absolute best paint I've ever used is Farrow and Ball.  That stuff is like a vacation.  I have a wealthy client here (NC) that insists on it.  They order the stuff from California and w/ shipping it usually runs close to $100/gallon for int. flat!  It's ridiculous, but it is smooooth.  I like Ben Moore too, but I'm not a fan of SW/Duron since SW bought them out.   
As far as everyday paint, I'm a PPG/Porter man. Their latex over oil int. trim product, Advantage 900, is excellent. It actually stays put after minimal scuffing, unlike Sig, Select (doesnt stay or cover).  I also like their VinylFlat int. wall paint.  It covers well and usually runs about 450-500 sq. ft/gallon.  Porters'  exterior product, Permanizer, is simply awesome. It's expensive, but if quality counts, give it a try.  Their next step down, AcriShield is good too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:26:46 PM by PaintPro »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »
I won't put the crap through one of my rigs, but the "alkyd-enhanced" latex paints are nasty tough...

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Home Depot is slipping Consumer Reports some cash under the table to report favorably on Behr paint? Other people have to be suspicious....it's ranked #1! I can come up with no other rational explanation.

Offline 98mustangguy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:17 PM »
Consumer Reports has been known to be crooked before, but to be honest I have never had a problem with Behr paint. Of the brands I have used  Sherwin Williams, Glidden america finest, Olympic, American Traditions, Dutch Boy and a couple others I actually prefer Behr  but I hear so many people down on them here so I figured I would ask what everyone else likes. From the replies it looks like many people like the high end Benjamin Moore so I will probably try that out. At my full time job they use Pratt and Lambert epoxy based wall paint and honestly I can say I would not use it  I do not like the sheen the coverage although it does stand up pretty well to repaeted washings. Maybe Behrs interior paint is far different as I notice most of you seem to do alot of interior while I do strictly exterior. As far as exterior paint Behr has never done me wrong  it sprays well, covers well and lookin at some house that I did including my own house 5-7 years ago seems to hold up just fine. Just my 2 cents on my own topic. Thanks for the tips though I will check the BM line out on my next job. Hopefully it works out as good as i suspect since getting anything other than Behr or sherwin   like BM,ICI,Hadlocks or other suppliers will all add at least 30 minutes driving into my already normally hectic day

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 12:27:14 AM »
Am I the only one here that thinks BM is overrated and overpriced? Don't get me wrong i love the Impervo. Other than that I'd rather use SW or ICI.

Jared

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 12:53:06 AM »
As has been mentioned in previous posts, any given brand of paint is only as good as the local support you get with it - at least, from the contractor's perspective...

This makes some brands the #1 choice in some regions, when the same brand could be the LAST choice in others.

BM tends to do very poorly in this regard when one is dealing with the mom & pop hardware stores or otherwise non-dedicated paint dealers.

Personally, my most skilled tinters & color matchers are at my local independent BM dealer - so they get the majority of my business.  My local ICI is competent, I go to them whenever I need the 4216 or something BM doesn't have.  My local SW is a total joke, they can't mix 2 matching gallons to save their lives, and they SO don't care whether I buy from them or not - so I don't.

In the end, as long as you're using an appropriate paint that you like to use, you have the best chance for success.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
Jared

I'm glad to hear that SW dealers are the same everywhere. At least I know it isn't just the south with incompetent dealers. You wait forever & then not to sure the color is right. That is why we use ICI mostly.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 04:13:39 PM »
The local SW stores have shown me little in the way of customer service.
They seem to cater more to the new construction guys. Makes sense as they buy a lot more paint than I do. That plus the fact that my local BM dealer really works hard for my business and my customer base loves BM. All this combined makes BM my first choice every time. I admit this may be based in ignorance of other products, but I seem to stick with what works.   
It ain't easy being cheesy