Author Topic: Priming new plaster  (Read 5569 times)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Priming new plaster
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »
It's been years since I have had to paint new plaster. I can't find any paperwork or notes on any job in the past that I have had to prime and paint new plaster. So, my question is this:

What would you recommend as a primer for new plaster? By new I mean it is a new plaster skimcoat, but has dried/cured for over 9 months. My first instinct would be an acrylic primer like BM FreshStart.

Any numbers as to material usage? I know it will be more porous than drywall, but how much? 50%? 100%? Anyone with a typical sq ft of coverage for new plaster?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jared

Re: Priming new plaster
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:49 AM »
It could require as much as double the amount of primer, in my experience.  (That's how I estimate it for bids.)  Unfinished plaster is like a sponge for that first coat...

I have had to deal with plaster skimcoats & repairs on many occasions, my preferred primer is Zin 1-2-3 or equivalent.  Sealing qualities are key for this type of application, go with the acrylic primer you feel seals porosity best.  Oil based primer is not necessary nor recommended over fresh plaster.

Vin

Re: Priming new plaster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »
Friend of mine redid his bathroom and used oil base on new plaster and now its cracking all over. This is inside a shower and older style home the plaster is overhead just above the tile so moisture is a huge issue in there, theres  no ventilation inside that shower area and moisture stands on the walls.