Author Topic: 18" roller  (Read 32290 times)

Offline brushandbucket

18" roller
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:23:36 PM »
Used an 18" roller for the first time (30gallon job) I purchased a wooster set up with a Big ben tray. I really enjoyed it and the cleanup was so easy, some how wooster figured a way for the paint not to adhere to the plastic frame.  How do you guys keep the "snot" off the walls, I carry a painters tool and give it a wipe put I still had "snot".  my worker did not check is work and had about 3 drips, what is the best way to get rid of those short of sanding them off.

I love asking you guys stuff I really want to get better at painting becuase I enjoy it so much.

thank in advance
Tony

Offline Hotrod

Re: 18" roller
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »
Interior or Exterior?

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 08:33:45 PM »
interior

Offline Hotrod

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 09:06:03 PM »
I just go back over it while its wet to even everything out.

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »
I think he means after it has dried?

If it's wet, pull out the booger and re-roll over it.

If it's between wet and dry, leave it alone until it dries.

If its dry, take your 5 in 1 and pop it off (angled edge UP). Skim w/ sheetrock mud if necessary.  Sand and re-touch.   
...or sometimes you can shave off the excess w/ a new razor blade, depending on the type of paint, but be careful not to gouge the wall.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:56:12 PM by PaintPro »

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 02:15:06 AM »
roll fast, always keep your eyes on what you just rolled.  Cover your bucket when not in use. Make sure your caps are tight.   The most important thing to do is watch for ur snot as u go.  Then u dont have 2 worryy about it afterwards
Git er done!

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:13:57 PM »
exactly, keep your paint covered if you have to stop for break or lunch. lay some plastic over the pan and and lightly smooth it out so all the air is out. For my cut pots i sometimes pour a small amount of water on top just enough to layer the top with water. that will stop the paint from skinning.

Vin

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »
I bought the big bucket that wooster makes for the 18" roller and I also bought the lid that goes on it I have the pans also.

I used the 18" for the first time this weekend, OK forget about using that sucker on ceilings with heavy textured knock down it will work them  shoulders and arms HARD  .

I had to really push the paint in but using it on the walls worked out great and it was fast will have to check and see if they have 3/4 nap rollers for heavier textured wall the 1/2" is just to short.

I was back rolling everything paint I was using was  pretty clean just strain the paint if there looks like skin in the paint, the roller wasn't flippin boogers with that short nap so I had no trouble there.

Jared

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:58:19 AM »
Vin -

You shoud be able to get 18" covers in at least 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" naps...  my local Lowe's carries the Wooster 18"ers in both 1/2" and 3/4".

Yep, 18" rigs will really build those shoulders when rolling or backrolling ceilings...

And I love those Wooster lidded trough-style buckets!  Once I got my hands on one, I chucked my 18" trays forever.

Oh, and a tip for y'all on 18" rigs - avoid the frames made entirely of plastic...  you'd be surprised to see just how much paint a fully loaded 18" 3/4" sleeve can splatter through a room when one of those damn plastic holders break.  ;)  My personal fav 18" rig is the Wooster Wide Boy - the plastic body on that one had never broken on me, and the metal adjustable-width holders can withstand a whole lot of abuse & pressure.

Vin

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 10:14:01 AM »
kOOL Thanks Jared

I got the wide boy frame  I think you recommenced that awhile back it did come apart on me once yesterday may not have had the wing nuts tightened down quite enough  but to I was putting some real pressure on that frame trying to get that paint into the texture.

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 06:44:12 PM »
I've wondered why somebody don't make a 12" roller.
18" are great for wide open spaces but can't get in all the smaller places
like closets, so you still have to get out the 9" to finish.....plus you have to be a manster to push an 18" all day
9" are the work horse but they have more lap marks to deal with and are slow on those same wide open spaces
so how would a compromise between the two work?

Wooster are ya listening?
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »
I like the wooster big ben frames. no wing-nuts never come loose. plus if you use the wooster grip tip poles like I do it won't spin on ya and loosen up from the pole itself.

Oh and btw regarding my last post... i only top off my cut pots with water when its primer or first coat. I never add water to top coats, don't want to screw with the sheen or color. ;)

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:45:56 AM »
They do make a 12".  dont care what ur doing but eventually that@%$&***  will drop on ya.  just part of the game.  thats why they hire us.  JARED, iof u can run an 18/  3/8 down the wall and make it look goodwithout extraordinary work, u have a great taper and framer.  Otherwise go with a good 1/2' nap that u trust
Git er done!

Offline bionic88

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:05:54 AM »
You guys Rock  8)  I've never used a 18" roller yet.
still an amateur but can't wait until I get my hands on one of those big boys! 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:07:32 AM by bionic88 »

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:55 AM »
They do make a 12". 

Don't remember ever seeing one, maybe I just haven't noticed. Who sells them?
I'd like to try one out.
It ain't easy being cheesy