Author Topic: 18" roller  (Read 32287 times)

Jared

Re: 18" roller
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:56:18 AM »
The 12" rollers are intended for rolling out floor coatings, thus the selection of sleeves for 12" handles will be minimal.

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 10:48:50 PM »
I have never seen a 12", but I recently used a 14" on a ceiling that I did.  I didn't use an 18" both because they get heavy after a while rolling ceilings, but also becuase this particular ceiling had wood beams through out the house and I wanted something that would roll tighter to the edges. It worked okay but I think I'll stick to the 9".  The only cover my paint store carries for the 14" is the Wooster Super Fab.

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »
I bought the big bucket that wooster makes for the 18" roller and I also bought the lid that goes on it I have the pans also.

I used the 18" for the first time this weekend, OK forget about using that sucker on ceilings with heavy textured knock down it will work them  shoulders and arms HARD  .

I had to really push the paint in but using it on the walls worked out great and it was fast will have to check and see if they have 3/4 nap rollers for heavier textured wall the 1/2" is just to short.

I was back rolling everything paint I was using was  pretty clean just strain the paint if there looks like skin in the paint, the roller wasn't flippin boogers with that short nap so I had no trouble there.

I  didn't see the 18"Bucket with cover I am using the big tray, where did you get it?

toy

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
I just got back from a rep meeting/lunch at a local paint store ( see aura thread) - Wooster guy there sold me a couple of SuperFab 12" covers. They're out there...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 12:58:08 AM »
I bought the big bucket that wooster makes for the 18" roller and I also bought the lid that goes on it I have the pans also.

I used the 18" for the first time this weekend, OK forget about using that sucker on ceilings with heavy textured knock down it will work them  shoulders and arms HARD  .

I had to really push the paint in but using it on the walls worked out great and it was fast will have to check and see if they have 3/4 nap rollers for heavier textured wall the 1/2" is just to short.

I was back rolling everything paint I was using was  pretty clean just strain the paint if there looks like skin in the paint, the roller wasn't flippin boogers with that short nap so I had no trouble there.

I  didn't see the 18"Bucket with cover I am using the big tray, where did you get it?

toy

Ordered them directly from Wooster funny thing they didn't have the lids when I ordered the first time I had to order again for those.

Vin

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 01:00:00 AM »
I just got back from a rep meeting/lunch at a local paint store ( see aura thread) - Wooster guy there sold me a couple of SuperFab 12" covers. They're out there...

I'm amazed that Wooster doesn't stock the stores they have selling there products with EVERYTHING, all I ever see is a few things of this and that, they don't even stock all there brush's, weird!               

Jared

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 08:30:39 AM »

Actually, the supply service through this site, Painting Contractor Supply, sells the wooster 18" trough-style bucket and lids.

Vin

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »

Actually, the supply service through this site, Painting Contractor Supply, sells the wooster 18" trough-style bucket and lids.

YEP shonuff  ;)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Flying this Spruce Goose
    • painterforum
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »
The Wooster Brush Company does not usually sell it's products directly to the public, their products are normally ONLY available through sundry distributors and retail outlets. If factory direct purchasing is made available for some items the prices are usually at or above retail rates.

Wooster does not "stock" retail stores. Their products are made available along with other lines (Purdy,etc) for purchase to the store owner through a sundry distributor, it is the store owner's decision as to which Wooster items to stock (purchase) or not.

admin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:25:19 PM by admin »
I am a webmaster in the tradition of Howard Hughes, I fly this Spruce Goose of a website through cyberspace by the seat of my pants and I usually manage to keep her just above the water, but every now and then I get a wet ass. Let me know if you feel a shudder.

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 07:37:26 PM »
Vin said
I'm amazed that Wooster doesn't stock the stores they have selling there products with EVERYTHING, all I ever see is a few things of this and that, they don't even stock all there brush's, weird!               

I asked the GM for my paint company(BM dealer) 'Why do you sell SW brushes almost exclusively"
He replied 'Thats what people ask for'
They have a full display rack of just about every Purdy brush made.

'Why don't you sell Corona and Wooster?' I asked.
'We can order you anything from W or C'
I explained to him ordering is good and has it's place but I buy brushes more to satisfy
immediate needs. Not quite impulse buying but kinda close. Plus I don't like to order brushes that I've never tried. Once I'm sold on a particular brush then I'll be glad to order it.

WOOSTER and CORONA if your listening get out there and stock every paint store with your brushes! You both have a better product for PROFESSINAL painters and your still playing second fiddle.

That's my rant for the day.....
I feel better now......
Sorry for the hollering.....

Did I say second fiddle? ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 07:42:46 PM by lackamoola »
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 08:23:11 PM »
I had the same conversation with the manager of my favorite paint store, and got the same answers.  The have a huge wall covered with purdy brushes and half of the roller covers they stock are SuperFabs.  I was told that was what all the contractors want.  I've spent alot of time in that store and I have a sneakin' hunch that the contractors that are buying those things in bulk are supplying their crews more often than painting themselves. Just my guess.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »
Wooster does not "stock" retail stores. Their products are made available for purchase to the store owner through a sundry distributor, it is the store owner's decision as to which Wooster items to stock (purchase) or not.

admin

What they stock if they are an  independent paint store is up to the store owners not Wooster. Wooster does not own any paint stores. Some of the stores such as ICI cannot stock some items because they will compete with the in house brands, like ICI brushes,etc. Ranting about it will do no good.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline woosterbrushman

• PRODUCT REP.
  • Know the serious from the curious prospect ASAP
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
OK, now for my two cents worth.  It would  be nearly impossible for a store to stock EVERYTHING
Wooster makes or any other company.  As a distributor, I can't even do that.  Ever heard of the 80/20 rule?

Twenty percent of your items generate 80% of your sales.  We sell to hundreds, maybe even a
thousand active accounts (paint stores).  If I ran a printout of what we sold in just Wooster, their would be at least a 100 items that we as a distributor sell less than 12 to 24 pieces per year.  I have customers
that only buy a particular Wooster item and no one else does.  My stores ask me to order something for them and I am happy to, in most cases I can get them the item within a week.  But for me to justify stocking it,  I have to have several dealers asking for it. 

Paint stores are the same way, only on a much smaller scale.  They will always keep their "A" items in stock.  They will order other things from their distributor as they are asked for them.  What usually
happens though is the store will bring an item in and then the contractor who wanted it stops buying it.
They are then stuck with an item no one wants.  That has happened to us hundreds of times.

A recent example involved a special respirator from 3M.  Some government program for low income people
gave them a voucher they could take to their local paint store and buy the paint and supplies they
needed to complete the job.  Contractors also were included when larger jobs were done.
Due to the fear of lead based paint, they had to buy this respirator, which was almost $12.00 retail
for 1 paper mask.  We were selling 200-300 per month at all the stores in our area.  We were keeping that many on hand also. 

The government then decided that a much cheaper respirator would do and they would no longer pay
for the more expensive one.  We now have over 200 of these we have been unable to sell, plus our store are stuck with that many also.  Your independent paint store can't afford to stock items someone
"might come in and buy" 

Even sherwin Williams limits the types of items they allow their store to stock. A former SW manager
who is now a product rep. told me that if they bring in an item and it is not sold within 60 to 90
days, the value of it goes to zero and the loss is taken out of the stores bonus.  They can't even
order something unless they have a firm order from a contractor.  I have even heard they limit the
amount of product they keep at a store.  They usually have a larger "warehouse retail store" that
keeps paint and supplies that are either delivered to you guys or to another store daily. 

Now SW owns Purdy and Bestt Liebco, so the chance of you seeing Wooster items on a store shelf
are nil to none. 

The suggestion I have for you all is to contact the painter forum store on this site and see if they can get these items for you.  Wooster makes 12 and 14" roller covers several people on this thread have asked about.  The forum is a great FREE resource, but I am willing to bet the monthly expenses to keep it going are not.  Support the forum store, as they have supported you all.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 08:19:42 PM »
Personally i use 18"s with a 1/2 nap for back rolling ceilings and thats it.
Sean

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 12:05:01 AM »
Woosterbrushman

Thanks for clearing up this debate for us.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton