Author Topic: 18" roller  (Read 32294 times)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: 18" roller
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 09:11:14 AM »
So- Cleaning up the big boy.  Has anyone else tried cutting the bottom out of one fiver, partially drilling 3 or 4 screws at the the bottom to hold it on top of another fiver, and presto, The 18" spin bucket!   ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 09:39:38 PM »
Here is a little tip if you don't already know. When cleaning out an 18" roller... since they are so time consuming. I first push it backwards though a 5 gallon bucket lid. Just pull out the bunghole tab and they fit right though, removing most of the paint. If you push it part way though then put the lid back on the bucket, you can pull the roller cover out and the paint goes back into the 5 gallon bucket.

Well it works with other length rollers too ;) but for 18's it's great.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:42:55 PM by Bauer »

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 09:48:24 PM »
Excellent post Bauer. I never thought of that.
I usually just pitch em after the job tho. ???

It might be a big no-no to some of you, but at the end of the day, I just wrap the roller and tray up in a huge plastic bag, push the air out, and wrap it up airtight. 

*Disclaimer* I only use the heavy mil bags that resist pokes and tears and this doesnt work for some top of the line paints. I only do this 2 or 3 days in a row at most, unless its ceiling paint which will stay good for a month!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 10:02:01 PM by PaintPro »

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »
So- Cleaning up the big boy.  Has anyone else tried cutting the bottom out of one fiver, partially drilling 3 or 4 screws at the the bottom to hold it on top of another fiver, and presto, The 18" spin bucket!   ;D

I have never used a spinner do they work?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
Say Wot!?   Can't clean a roller decently without one, IMO.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 05:46:36 AM »

I have never used a spinner do they work?

Stop toe-tapping those brushes. Ya gotta get a spinner today!
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »
Every painter should have a spinner.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 06:46:23 PM »
Say Wot!?   Can't clean a roller decently without one, IMO.

I learned to paint 20 years old from an old frenchmen, we did all exterior oil, He didn't care how long it took you to clean you brushes but if they weren't clean the next morning, you spent the next two days reglazing those 6 over six jobs that were 50 years old then. BTW if you need windows glazed I am your man. and yes I will go out and buy a spinner. thanks for the tip

Tony

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 06:48:06 PM »
Every painter should have a spinner.

Lynjo

Lynjo

Is one brand better then an another?

tony

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 01:37:14 AM »

Stop toe-tapping those brushes. Ya gotta get a spinner today!

chronic toe-tapping is a hard habit to break! 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:40:16 AM by PaintPro »

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 05:36:26 AM »
chronic toe-tapping is a hard habit to break! 

Yea, but can I tell you I broke it as soon as I found out about a brush spinner. Back in the dark days before spinners we toe-tapped every brush we cleaned. Not good for shoes, toes, backs, or brushes. After repeated tapping the ferrule would get a little bent. We tapped after last rinse, then the brushes went thur a rinse of deisel and tapped again.
 :D
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 07:08:59 AM »
You can successfully clean a brush without a spinner, but the rollers really need it . It not only pulls the goo from deep, but fluffs up the nap again. I ( and I am sure most of you) hang  the frame on the side of the bucket at then slip the roller over the handle to dry. To set a roller on a flat surface will not only leave a ring but the fibers on the end might get hard of theres anything left in the roller.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 04:36:07 PM »
Tony

Shurline makes a good one. Should be easy to find. I think Lowes has them.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 06:31:19 PM »
Tony

Shurline makes a good one. Should be easy to find. I think Lowes has them.

Lynjo

thanks

Jared

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 06:48:48 PM »
Actually, I hate to contradict one as knowledgeable as Lynjo, but I feel I must butt in this time...

I used to use Shureline spinners.  They do work.  However, if I am going to spin out a brush, I prefer a better-quality spinner, as the Shureline brand uses a brush clip that inevitably ends up crooked, causing a wild looping effect when attempting to spin out a brush...  but the outer "sleeve" section of the clip seems to hold up fine.  So the Shureline spinners are fine for spinning out covers, but IMO there are much better ones out there for spinning out brushes.  My local Dunn Edwards sells a MUCH higher-quality spinner for only about $5-6 more than the Shureline goes for at the big box...  I'm sure other dealers and brands are out there, if you seek them out.

In the end, a spinner is a spinner is a spinner - they all do the same thing...  but some are definately manufactured using higher standards than others.

Oh, and GREAT tips above by BJ and Bauer!  I love both ideas, the extended bucket and the "bunghole squeegee effect" are both entering my little black book of tips & tricks.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:51:21 PM by Jared »