Author Topic: Does anyone use Wilbond?  (Read 23003 times)

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
Does anyone use Wilbond?
« on: September 14, 2007, 10:16:36 PM »
I've read several posts on here about using TSP as a cleaner.  Ives used it a few times on exteriors, but I use Wilbond on every job to wipe down trim before painting.  I have a great success with in in removing oils from areas where peoples hands touch the trim and causes the paint to separate.  This is why I first started using it, so I just stayed with it.  It cuts the oils/grease, wallpaper paste, and gives the paint a good tack for my paint to stick.  It works for me, is there any pros/cons to this method?

Offline lackamoola

Re: Does anyone use Wilbond?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 05:28:19 AM »
I've used Wilbond before but it's been a while. One of the contractors I worked for used it all the time. Good deglosser. Talking to the good folks at XIM yesterday I found out about a deglosser called GON I'm ordering a gallon today.
They also make a water base GON. 
It ain't easy being cheesy

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 06:02:40 AM »
My partner and I were having the WilBond discussion just yesterday. He sees it as a "do-all" substitute for sandpaper and elbow grease, and I find it has it's uses, such as wiping down steel railing stock prior to priming...

We're repainting some ancient motel room entry doors that all have 5-6 coats of poorly applied alkyds on them. He wants to save time (it's a time/material contract!  :o ) and wipe 'em down with WilBond. His doors look like the poorly painted coat before, mine, sanded with 220 and dusted, give the illusion of a new door...And I took a whole 2 minutes longer per door than he did...

Yeah, the deglossers are nice time savers, but they don't knock down cat-tongues and boogers that the prior "painter" left behind...

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 06:18:13 AM »
Bad thing about deglossers is that you need to paint the item when its still tacky (de-glossed)... it becomes unrealistic to do. Its not like you can prep the job then go paint it. Its more like degloss a casing, paint the casing, repeat on next casing. Many guys think you can put this stuff on and its deglossed for good.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:03:33 AM »
I believe that some of the acrylic primers state not to use deglossers.  But back in the always oil impervo days I used wilbond all the time. Even put a bit in the paint for extra grip and to speed up drying.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:42:25 AM »
It’s really great posts.