Author Topic: What should I have done in this situation?  (Read 7347 times)

Offline kenny

What should I have done in this situation?
« on: September 13, 2007, 05:58:48 PM »
I painted an apartment today that had plastic trim.  It was put up in the 70's and was a real dark brown. and had at least 12 years of cigarett smoke on it.  The service manager wanted it white and had me spray it with a water base semi gloss. You know what happened next the carpet layers rubbed it off in sheets.  Would painting plastic with Kilz then with his paint have stopped this from happening?
I have never painted plastic before so its a new one on me.
Thanks
Kenny

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: What should I have done in this situation?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »
Kenny,

Getting a good bond with plastics can be difficult. I would have recommended cleaning then priming with a good acrylic primer like "Gripper" ( if you have ever tried removing dried gripper from the plastic 5 gallon bucket... you know why...;) )   top coat with a high end acrylic.. XIM also makes a primer specifically for plastic.   
Never use oil based on plastics or any type of polyvinyl.....

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline AM Painting

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:52:51 PM »
I use the aresol can of kills for lighting can rims. Let em dry . Then a light sand and finish coat. Never had a problem with that. I lean toward the higher end paints tho ,so I don't know if it was your finish paint that was inferior. I'd imagine since it is apartments the paint wasn't very good. The lack of prime coupled with a low quality finish paint is prob what caused this problem
AM Painting

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
Also, don't forget that latex paints take a while to cure....if you finish painting one day and they come in to lay carpet the next day that's not good.  Give that stuff a month to cure and it's much more durable.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:06:59 PM »
had at least 12 years of cigarett smoke on it. 
Ditto to all the above. Plus, I would have wiped down the trim with at least paint thinner.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »
PW

Do you not have problems with the latex paint not drying after cleaning with thinner?

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 05:57:55 AM »
I would have wiped the trim down with a good deglosser,primed with XIM plastic and vinyl primer, and the a top line latex enamel.
Another thing in your post caught my attention......
that is letting other people dictate how you do a job.
You said 'The service manager wanted it white and had me spray it with a water base semi gloss.' Hopefully the service manager will shoulder some of the blame for the paint failure.
I use products and methods that I know and can guarantee.
When I encounter a customer that dictates how I do a job and what *products I use I usually excuse myself and wish them the best of luck.

*I always suggest BM but will use name brand paint of customers choice if they insist, but not caulk, putty/glazing, varnish/sealer, primers, ect.   
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:34:10 AM »
RMICHAEL,  Dont the steel door manufacturers reccomend to prime the plastic trim with an oil based product?  Im just looking for the best way.  I did a steel door the other day, not a new door, plastic was very yellowed.  I primed with SW's  version of bin in a spray can.  Im sure it is good for years, yet not oil based.  If u get a chance, read my post about the nova 395.  thank u, RD
Git er done!

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 08:14:33 PM »
RD,

Most polyvinyls just have too much flex ( movement ) for oil based paints, of course, that can present more of a problem on exterior surfaces ( shutters, vinyl windows etc. )

I swear I have seen countless "yellow" vinyl window grids because the painter told the customer "Oh, that can't be painted." ...  which is simply not true, in fact even vinyl siding can be very successfully painted with 100% acrylic latex paint, if the siding is clean, no primer is required or recommended.
Door window grids are more stable and less flexible than vinyl siding, but I still would not recommend an oil based product.

As far as manufacturer recommendations, I sometimes believe that their instructions have not kept pace with coating technology, oil based paint recommendations are rapidly becoming a thing of the past...

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:22:49 PM »
PW

Do you not have problems with the latex paint not drying after cleaning with thinner?

Lynjo
Not that I recall, no. I would wash it quickly with a thinner rag, and let dry. Scuff sand, tack off, and prime.