Author Topic: angle vs straight cut  (Read 49152 times)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
angle vs straight cut
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:29:38 PM »
Long ago Mr. Lindbeck kept tagging the glass as he tried to get into the corners of the window mullions, he considered the problem and with the help of a pair of scissors the angle sash brush was born. I do find them useful when painting window sashes and not much else... but I am also aware that a straight cut brush is not intended for extended edge use (painting with the brush turned edgewise ) after a while the bent bristles become compressed, develop a memory, and take on a semi-permanent curve which can make it useless when you run into some flat work.... 

If you could have ONLY ONE brush what would it be, angle or straight cut?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:53:16 AM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: angle vs straight cut
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:35:03 PM »
I almost always use a straight, but a 2" one.  I just don't get why the majority of the brushes available are angle.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:59 PM »
Straight cut 2 1/2 inch even for windows. Of course by the end of the day it does look like an angle brush.   ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline TomTom

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:54:05 PM »
2 1/2" angle. No doubt about it.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »
I have been painting for over 20 years now and I still cannot grasp at all how professionals can use an angle brush for anything.  They are great for getting into tight corners, but that's it.  I remember when I worked for the big companies, all the shoddy painters that couldn't cut a straight line to save their job were using angle brushes! Coincidence? I don't know.  But, I've tried to use angle brushes and I feel I'd be better off using an old beat up duster to cut with!

Vin

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 12:40:40 AM »
well if a 5 in 1 is considered ONE TOOL then so is this  ;D

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 06:04:47 AM »
well rmichael  since you are putting us on a spot,  I guess I would ultimately have to go with a straight .

lynjo, that was a good one- and yes they do look rather angled  ;D

vin- now that would be my kind of brush- if the handles were just a little closer together;  I do have stencil brushes just like that.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »
Vin, great idea except I'd be painting my forehead all the time!   ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »
I always use 2.5 angle.....since the strait edge is going to eventually look like an angle at the end of the day why not start off with one.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »
I would pick my 3" Wooster straight sash brush. Mainly because while I am brushing, I am constantly spinning the brush around, so both sides get a work out, and it never develops an angle.

Offline 98mustangguy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
Well how bout I throw into the mix a square brush, a round brush or even a triangle brush?? Ill go triangle for window moldings angled or straight the rest of the time. I like 2 1/2 angled brushes but i guess it depends on what you are used to.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 04:57:46 PM »
I have been painting for over 20 years now and I still cannot grasp at all how professionals can use an angle brush for anything.  They are great for getting into tight corners, but that's it...all the shoddy painters that couldn't cut a straight line to save their job were using angle brushes! Coincidence? I don't know. 
YES COINCIDENCE. And I bet if you did use that beat up duster for 20 years you'd be pretty good with it also.
I think this definately is a matter of what you learned with or what you are used to. 17 years of using angled brushes has me not able to even think about a straight brush for anything except large exteriors with lots of straight brushing...even then I may still use my trusty angled.
And over the past few years I've moved from the 2 1/2" to the 3" angled for everything. they really hold the paint and make for less dipping into the bucket.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 05:05:39 PM »
I like a 3-1/2 flat brush.
Sean

Jared

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »
Honestly, I use both almost 50-50.  Just as I forced myself to learn to do cut-in work left-handed, I have always felt that if I want to call myself a pro, I should be able to produce exceptional results with ANY appropriate high-quality version of the tools we use - and for that reason sometimes I force myself to use a straight brush when an angled would be "easier" or use an angled brush for cut-in work where I'd really prefer using a straight brush.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »
WOW, I am losing the bet!! I was betting that a straight cut brush would be preferred by pros by ratio of 9 to 1. So far, in this micro sample, it is running 6 to 4.... with a bonus going to the angle guys for the little bit of attitude..  8)   ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything