Author Topic: angle vs straight cut  (Read 49142 times)

Offline Fred

Re: angle vs straight cut
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
I'm gonna weigh in with the angled 3 inch. though we have found the straight is really good for cleaning the dash off in the truck  ;D
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Jared

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »
rmichael - I'd have made the same bet you did, and apparently I'd be losing it right now as well.  ;)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 08:50:58 PM »
I use a 3" angled Wooster extra firm most the time. I also like the 3 1/2" Purdy XL- PIP Semi-Oval

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 09:00:22 PM »
Only way I would use an angled brush is if it was the only thing clean on the van. Then I would be saying a few choice words to the brush cleaning man all day.  ;D ( I don't clean brushes.)  >:( 
They are good for dusting  out corners.  :D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:32 PM »
Straight cut if I had to choose but I keep a few of both on hand.

Offline brushandbucket

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »
2 1/2" angle purdy, I did experiment the other day. Using SW duration , I have a Do it best 4 inch brush ( I don't know who makes it for them but I love it)
I used it to cut in the wall along the ceiling. it was great because you have so much paint to move. No Lie I could do 18-24inch without reloading and I didn't even need a recut. Feathered it in the full 4 inches and it made rolling even easier.

tony

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »
I've never used anything but an angled brush except for the 4 incher I have used for exterior work.  I'm going to get a straight brush and give it a try. 

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 10:29:22 PM »
Woh, I must have missed the day the brush fairy sprinkled the angle brush dust over the profession... looks like she used a crop duster..   :o   
I guess us traditionalist (straight cut Beaver tail stock) need a few of those angies on the wagon, if nothing else just to show them off on those days that we feel a little rebellious   8)    :-\   ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:33:00 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 12:55:26 AM »
3" sash here can't imagine trying to cut in around cabinets and windows with a square headed brush guess I need an old furt to show me dat one LOL

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 07:25:02 AM »
Like Jared, I'm about 50/50 lately.  For about 14 years all I would use was either a 3" flat for interior, or a 4" flat for exterior, but recently I gave the angled brush another shot and I have to say I'm becoming a big fan.  I've found the 2.5 angled to be a great brush for windows,door casings (especially the sides), or cutting in walls where the owner doesn't want the trim painted, just a fresh coat on the walls.  Each have their own set of places that yield the best results. 

So to answer this thread, I would have to say 3" flat, with a 2.5 angle gaining ground.

BTW, I like the Wooster or Purdy (firm and soft, depending) for the 3" flat, and the Corona Vegas 2.5 or 3" angled.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:56:08 AM by PaintPro »

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
Your parents should really get you to quit smoking!!!  :o   ;D

After 2 seasons of exterior painting, i can't decide. I like to form perfect lines everywhere though, and sometimes i "think" its easier to form the start of a line in some cases where its hard to reach with an angled brush.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 02:08:11 PM by Chip McCheckellson »
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 11:16:54 PM »
This is interesting.  In production painting, which I did for 2.5 years, the brush of choice was always 3" Purdy, i.e. Scooter/Pip/Swan.  This was for everything!  You learn very quickly how to cut everything quickly & cleanly when 2 dozen other guys are in line for your job.  Of course 90% of the painting was white on white, etc.  10% custom colors.

I have now switched to Corona, 3" Denver, however, the Chinex bristle is the best IMHO.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 11:52:58 PM »
Just to say I have an open mind I bought a Corona Chinex angle today. Don't tell me about old dogs!   lol!  ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 01:38:28 PM »
whats an angle brush??? :o

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »