Author Topic: angle vs straight cut  (Read 49140 times)

Jared

Re: angle vs straight cut
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
Just to say I have an open mind I bought a Corona Chinex angle today. Don't tell me about old dogs!   lol! 

Well, if you're going to buy a brush with the sash type you don't prefer, at least let it be the best brush you can find.  ;)  Within a few years I might not even bother to stock anything BUT Corona Chinex brushes...  but so far it is too hard for me to give up my champagne nylon completely - yet.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 07:56:18 PM »
In the window paint shop we've narrowed our brush inventory down to the E&J  and Corona 2" & 2 1/2" Chinex with angled sash and flat sash about 50-50.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline jvt321

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »
2 1/2 angle

Offline Hotrod

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »
i started painting with an angle brush, so ive pretty much always used one.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »
Well i just purchased my first Corona brush
  Corona Challanger Red-Gold Nylon/Polyester  3-1/2. I will let you all know how i like her.
Sean

Offline woosterbrushman

• PRODUCT REP.
  • Know the serious from the curious prospect ASAP
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »
As a product rep, the Wooster ultra pro firm 2 1/2" angle sash (4174) is our top
seller in dollars generated and also number of total units sold for brushes.

We sell all types of angles and they are way ahead of the flats for any kind of brush.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 03:54:52 AM »
I'm 100% 2 1/2 angle brushes. Been thinking off and on I'd like to try a 3 incher. I couldn't imagine using a straight one. But I'm 99% interiors only. And like Jared can cut just as well with any hand from any position.

I do use cheap small (read disposable) brushes for things like priming with shellac based primers and they're straight, but they don't count. ;)

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 05:15:29 AM »
I've always liked to use angled brush for certain things. I'm guessing I've got half a dozen on the van. Thing is I must be in the minority because not one of my guys has ever picked one out to use.
It ain't easy being cheesy

Jared

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 10:07:04 AM »
I notice that the common brush size mentioned in this thread is 2-1/2" to 3".

I am curious if many of you use smaller brushes for trim work.  For many years I ONLY used 2-1/2" brushes for basically everything, but a few years back I started using 1-1/2" trim brushes for many non-cut in applications, and I have to say, I wouldn't show up on a job without 'em now.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
I don't think I own a three, very few 2 1/2, mostly 2 and smaller.  BTW, that chinex that I just got worked great on the Aura job with lots of cutting into fancy moulding. ( Corona "excaliber" 2 1/2)
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »

I am curious if many of you use smaller brushes for trim work.  For many years I ONLY used 2-1/2" brushes for basically everything, but a few years back I started using 1-1/2" trim brushes for many non-cut in applications, and I have to say, I wouldn't show up on a job without 'em now.
I have them, i actually have many angle brushes i just do not use them very much. When i do need one though i use it.
My standard sized brush is the 3-1/2 flat. Was taught to use a 4" swan for cut in
I do plan on trying one of those chinex coronas. At first glance they look like an oil brush.
Sean

Jared

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 05:05:35 PM »
I love my Corona Excalibur.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.  In fact, I love it so much, I carry 6 of 'em.  ;)

Incidentally, my fav 1.5" brush is the Corona Ryan - the bristles are the finest chinex I've ever used, probably half the diameter of the bristles in the 2.5".

And FYI, Chinex is useable for both oil and water based coatings.  I have been told that Chinex is a white china bristle which has been treated or coated with some kind of DuPont chemical in order to create a whole new filament type.  Not too sure about that, but all I know is they are an absolute pleasure to work with, using every single coating I've ever tried them with.

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »
And FYI, Chinex is useable for both oil and water based coatings.  I have been told that Chinex is a white china bristle which has been treated or coated with some kind of DuPont chemical in order to create a whole new filament type.  Not too sure about that, but all I know is they are an absolute pleasure to work with, using every single coating I've ever tried them with.

My paint store guy told me that once you use a chinex in oil you should keep in oil.
Maybe good advice for some, but it didn't work out to well for me. Too many guys,and too many brushes to keep straight. After using them for a while I've found it makes no difference at all. The chinex brushes go back and forth between oil and latex with no noticeable effects.

That's interesting about chinex being china bristle treated with a coating.
Did you hear that from a good source? 
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »

I carry a few sizes of 'artist' style paint brushes for getting into tight spots, like between 2 trim pieces that are only half and inch apart, or less, but wall color needs to go in there.

i've used a 1-1/2" a few times but have no real need to use one often enough to keep one on hand. My last one dried out on me and it turned into my favorite stir stick for about 6 months, till i misplaced it. :'(

Offline Fat Tony

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 11:47:41 PM »
2 1/2 angle Wooster x-firm. I especially like it cause wooster sent it to me for free !!  Actually i started out with Purdys then got my hands on this one and thats all she wrote.

anything