Author Topic: Advertizing  (Read 23497 times)

Offline lackamoola

Re: Advertizing
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
I did a job for a gay couple in the eighties.....
It paid really good money and everyting was O.K. until they invited some friends over for an afternoon 'pool party' I'll spare ya the details, lets just say I cleaned up my brushes a little early that day and took it to da house! 
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »

I have recently joined a business referral group that meets weekly and tries to refer work to each other - called BNI- Business Networking International.   Interesting way to generate word of mouth, our best tool.

Ahoy fellow BNI'er!  BNI, Lexington, NC branch here.

and I agree...this has given me more work than leaflets, advertising, and the phone book...all combined!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 07:58:48 PM »
Through the years I've had many gay/les clients. Never did an ad in a "trade mag" though. But when you don't come off as judgmental and work with anybody, that gets around too.

Similarly I worked for a very "particular" Jewish family, and I swear my name went up at the synagogue! Everyone knew if I could make them happy, I had it going on!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
Cool PaintPro!  I'll PM you for your experiences. I've only been doing it for about a month.

Anyone else interested in the idea- google BNI. Lots of info.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Hixon Painting

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
The only advertising that ever really paid off for me is my yellow page ad. I've always had a simple, effective ad in the phone book.

Over the past 3 years I've had a statement that is highlighted and stands out prominently in my Nevada Bell yellow page ad... "WE WILL NOT HIRE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND WE ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH"

I would say that most painters I come across these days here in Reno don't speak english and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that the majority of painters here are actually illegal immigrants. Our failing government and all the greedy exploiters who want these modern day slaves here deserve a pat on the back!

In the 3 years that I've had this ad, I've received 2 negative phone calls about it and about 400 positive phone calls about it. Not only have I made a statement I feel strong about in my ad, but it struck a cord with many people who wound up hiring me as well.

About 90% of the work I get today is from customer referrals, but the other 10% still comes from my yellow page ad  ;)

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 08:16:40 PM »
I'm an excellent painter but I guess I can't work for your team.

I speak, English, Spanish, French and German. ;D

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Hixon Painting

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 12:26:46 AM »
I'm an excellent painter but I guess I can't work for your team.

I speak, English, Spanish, French and German. ;D

Michael

LOL...not exactly the implication I was going for in my statement so I'd probably let ya slide as long as you could clearly communicate with me and the customers  ;D

On a more serious note though...
Communication and comprehension abilities are key requirements for a business (or civilization for that matter) to even function.

If I moved to another country, you bet I would learn and speak the language of the land. In fact, I would not have a positive outlook about the future of said country if they did not require me to do so as a condition to me moving there.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 04:27:35 PM »
Most of the business world speaks the dominant business language; English.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline offthewall

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
Damn PWG, thats the best idea I think I have ever heard.  And all of your reasons are not only super valid but they also had me laughing out loud!  I've got a fairly high level of the gay/lesbian clan in my neck of the woods but unfortunately don't have any type of publication or newsletter to patch an advertisement in (not that I know of anyway, never had a reason to find one till now)  I'll be looking.......

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 12:17:39 AM »
Damn PWG, thats the best idea I think I have ever heard.  And all of your reasons are not only super valid but they also had me laughing out loud!  I've got a fairly high level of the gay/lesbian clan in my neck of the woods but unfortunately don't have any type of publication or newsletter to patch an advertisement in (not that I know of anyway, never had a reason to find one till now)  I'll be looking.......

I like his idea so much I've been recommending it to others.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 08:07:01 AM »
unfortunately don't have any type of publication or newsletter to patch an advertisement in (not that I know of anyway, never had a reason to find one till now)  I'll be looking.......
I called several publishing companies, and had them send me media packets and samples of the magazines and newsletters. There were a couple raised eyebrows around my house when I received my copies of the 'Vital Voice' and 'Out of the Closet' in the mail.  ;D

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
....but unfortunately don't have any type of publication or newsletter to patch an advertisement in (not that I know of anyway, never had a reason to find one till now)  I'll be looking.......

Check, and even ask at downtown trendy shops like music stores, clothing stores, etc... If your in a large enough city there will certainly be an established "gay bar". They would likely have such magazines and newspapers at the door, or the management would  be able to direct you to those publications. If your intimidated by walking into such a place, go during the daytime while the staff are preparing for the evening crowd, then its really just like going into any business.

Just watch, now that the cat is out of the bag, every painter and their dog will be trying to corner the "alternative lifestyle" market.  ;D

Vin

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 11:01:29 PM »
I Yie Yie you guys are killin me here LOL

We have a couple of gay managers both are fun to work with get along great with them long as they don't touch my cute tushy  ;D

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 02:14:45 AM »
I have never advertisded, aside from the ad I just posted on CL tonight.  I will see what that gets me before I decide to try anything else.

The G&L ad sounds like it would be a good idea.  I have worked for at least one gay couple that I remember, and they were great to work for.

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 07:44:55 PM »
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just wanted to add that I wish I would have headed everyone's advice and stayed away from Service Magic. 
Its been nothing but a total waste of time and money for me. 

BTW, BNI still kicks butt!