Author Topic: Roller cover nap length????????  (Read 55823 times)

Offline D. Berry

Roller cover nap length????????
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
For the most part I almost always use a 3/8 inch nap on drywall repaints that are smooth or semi-smooth.  I know these terms are subjective, but I think everyone will follow me.  Regardless of the paint sheen I stick with the 3/8 inch nap.  This is what I've always done with good results.  However, I'm seeing some of you girls and guys are talking about using 1/2 in. nap on smooth or semi-smooth surfaces.  Maybe I'm stuck in a rut and  should be doing something different.  I'd like to hear more of what everyone is doing.  If I'm doing cabinets or a wall unit that is a different story; I'm strickly talking walls here.   

Offline 98mustangguy

Re: Roller cover nap length????????
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »
Sorry I spray 75% of the time. 1/2 will work fine will just hold a bit more paint on it so you can get a little more coverage between dips.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 07:26:21 PM »
3/8" just isn't thick enough for me to move as fast as I would like to.  Keeping the wet edge is much easier with the 1/2".  I can't even imagine rolling flats with a 3/8"....you really want to lay that stuff down.  I think some people are afraid that bigger naps will show more stipple.  They don't though because your final pass is always done with a dry roller.  The bigger naps just help you get the material on the walls quicker.  I remember when we used to roll new construction flats with 1 1/4" nap sleeves because the boss wanted his guys to move as fast as possible....if there were 2" nap sizes I bet we would have tried those too.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »
I once had a very good roller man working for me, there was never a flash or flaw in his finish work, the only chink in his armor was his refusal to use anything other than a 3/4" nap cover... regardless of the finished paint sheen or the smoothness of the wall.
The stipple on his smooth satin finished walls looked like the scotchgrain on a basketball, although I must admit it was evenly distributed...  :)

IMO, a 3/8" nap is a good choice for eggshells and even satins, for flats I'll go 1/2"- 3/4" or use the Polar Bear.

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »
We use 3/4" for almost everything. I have been known to use a 1/2" for oil primers, pearls, and satins, but not often.

Jared

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »
OK, basically you've got 2 issues that come up from using the "wrong" nap size - too much stipple in the finish, or too thin/thick an application.

Neither of these becomes an issue in the hands of someone experienced with using the nap sizes in question.  Where the issues arise are in the hands of the inexperienced - I personally would NOT advise a DIY'er to go with a 3/4" nap sleeve for ANY interior smooth walls just as I wouldn't advise them to use a 3/16" or 1/4" for the same purpose.

It's really all about what YOU use to get exceptional results.  After all, you can't argue with results, right?

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
For normal interior wall paints I mainly use 1/2". Unless im using flat paint or painting ceilings, then i prefer a 3/4".

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:25 PM »
OK, basically you've got 2 issues that come up from using the "wrong" nap size - too much stipple in the finish, or too thin/thick an application.

Neither of these becomes an issue in the hands of someone experienced with using the nap sizes in question.  Where the issues arise are in the hands of the inexperienced - I personally would NOT advise a DIY'er to go with a 3/4" nap sleeve for ANY interior smooth walls just as I wouldn't advise them to use a 3/16" or 1/4" for the same purpose.

It's really all about what YOU use to get exceptional results.  After all, you can't argue with results, right?

Touche' ...  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »
IMO, a 3/8" nap is a good choice for eggshells and even satins, for flats I'll go 1/2"- 3/4" or use the Polar Bear.

rmichael,
I couldn't have said it any better than you already have.  :)

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 06:30:59 AM »
I buy nothing but 1-1/4 for bricks/blocks
and 3/4 for everything else. Lambswool/sheepskin.
I always clean my roller sleeves even if I use them in oil base.
(remember I'm old and come from a mostly forgotten oil based paint trade)
As they wear down the 1-1/4 becomes a 3/4 then 1/2 then finally a really good finish enamel roller, then it finally gets it's retirement party because it has made me some $$

Except for buying them I don't really go by measurements, more by look and feel. I do use the six inch long handle 'slim jim' rollers....
those things rock!

It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »
I use the 3/8" most of the time on flat walls. Sometimes I'll go to 1/4" KM Superdoozie if I'm trying to get it in one coat. Seems like anything larger than 3/8' will pull some of the paint off and not let you get by with one coat. If I know I'm doing 2 coats (which is most of the time) it's 3/8 or maybe 1/2".
Maybe I'll try the 3/4 sometime and see how it works out seeing as how a lot of you do. I always just thought it would leave too much orange peel effect. I know it would be faster with that nappy roller.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »
I've been using a Wooster Super Fab 1/2 as my standard, and it's better after a few washings. And as I thin my paint a bit with both extender and water, it spreads out without much stipple, but still gives me distance.

Wooster has a new woven line they just came out with made for the new acrylics. This might change my mind...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 05:51:59 PM »
Thanks for all of your feedback.  I think I'll try a 1/2 and see how I like it.  Some of you mentioned the Polar Bear.  Who make that?  I have never seen it.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »
D. Berry

Check out the Painting Contractor Supply at the top of the page. They are sold there at a very good price. But I think there is a minium order fee.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline PaintPro

• Serving NC's Triad area.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 08:23:42 PM »
I use 1/2" or 3/4" inch naps on walls (9" or 18" roller).  The only time I use less nap is for super smooth surfaces like cabinets and doors where I use a 1/4" or 3/8" crane (or cigar) roller.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:26:41 PM by PaintPro »

anything