Author Topic: Roller cover nap length????????  (Read 55832 times)

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

Re: Roller cover nap length????????
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
I prefer 1/2" lambswool for almost everything.  There are exceptions of course.  Used properly the stipple comes out smooth, tight and complex.  They clean up faster than synthetic.  On rough ugly plaster walls I use 1.5" sleeve, lamby.

Does anyone use lambswool anymore? 

All the 'old timer's' I know only use synthetic.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »
I almost always use lambswool. Like you said, they clean up MUCH quicker. I skim the excess paint out with my 5 in 1 and can clean a 9" in about a minute. 18" in maybe 2.

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 09:38:05 PM »
Lambys are the s**t!

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »
I read this whole thread, i probably missed something, but im still unclear as to what would leave the smoothest texture between 3/8 and 1/2 or 3/4 for acrylic? And doesn't going over paint with a dried roller help create orange peel? I read once (prob on this forum) to go over your paint as little as possible after its on the wall evenly.
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »
You are getting many answers because technique and paint consistency are as much a part of it as cover length and material. Experiment and find a combo that works for you. This is the experience part.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »
Yeah when I said your final pass is done with a dry roller, I didn't mean really dry.  I just meant that it is not fully loaded like when you get a dip.  Your roller is saturated at all times....dry rolling is bad and I guess I used the wrong word.  When you dip your roller, you spread that heavy stuff out on the wall and roll back into it to spread it out...you then make your final pass and move onto the next lap.  If you put the paint on heavy and evenly, the stipple seems to subside some when it dries.  It's like the paint is drying down into itself.  Paint can only do that when it is applied evenly...if you have highs and lows in the paint film of course it is going to flash and look bad.  I've used 3/4" and 1/2" for eggshells and it's not like I can see the bigger stipple when a 3/4" nap was used.  But, like Jared said if you put that 3/4" nap in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to roll you could have a mess on your hands....ever see when somebody slides with the roller and then leaves it? LOL...that's ugly.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 09:36:27 PM »
I read this whole thread, i probably missed something, but im still unclear as to what would leave the smoothest texture between 3/8 and 1/2 or 3/4 for acrylic? And doesn't going over paint with a dried roller help create orange peel? I read once (prob on this forum) to go over your paint as little as possible after its on the wall evenly.

The general rule is the smaller the cover size (nap) the smoother the wall finish, partly because of the covers paint load capacity... but everything is relative, like the sheen of the paint, the consistency of the paint, the amount of paint applied to the wall, the type of cover, the smoothness of the wall and your ability to lay it off evenly.

Once paint is applied it cannot be taken off it has to be rolled out, and It is possible to apply too much paint to a section of wall, especially if you are applying a sheened paint to a sealed wall, IMO in this case a 1/4" - 3/8" cover (dependent on the level of sheen and smoothness of the wall ) will give you the most control while laying the finish off and will give the smoothest finish.

Flat paints usually need more volume applied to the wall, IMO a 1/2" - 3/4" cover works well and limits "dry rolling" which can be a real problem when repainting an existing flat finish.

As Brush sez.. it really does come down to a personal technique, which comes with experience. Experiment with different covers... and have no fear, you'll find a few that fit your style...  8) ;D

rmichael

Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »
I'm totaly lost in this thread. Stuck on metric measurements here.

For the longest time I had always used 10 mil nap rollers on interior walls. Recently moved up to 15 mil for the added paint carrying capacity and noticing minimal difference in finish. I don't like working with the thin 5 mil nap rollers. Just does not hold enough paint, slows me down too much and the difference in finish between it and a 10 mil are not that great. I can see the diff but my customers cant.

*EDIT* 
OK, I dug out a new roller cover still in the plastic.
10 millimeters = 3/8 inch
So I assume 5 mil= 3/16 and 15 mil = 5/8 or 3/4 ish
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:41:49 PM by Stever »

Jared

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »
Stever -

the 5 mm roller sleeves are excellent for super-smooth surfaces like flush doors or cabinetry.  I use a brush to "tip" the wet finish, in order to remove the slight roller stipple the nap leaves behind - in most cases.  Some coatings seem to self-level so well on smooth surfaces that sometimes I don't have to backbrush.

Other than that, I wouldn't use the 5mm roller sleeve on any other surface - for the same reason you don't.  They just don't hold enough paint to be useful for much else.

And here's some conversions for ya:

5mm = 3/16"
10mm = 3/8"
13mm = 1/2"
19mm = 3/4"

Note that these conversions are approximated to fit the nap sizes available.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:43:53 PM by Jared »

Offline Stever

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 03:23:07 PM »
I also usually tip the wet rolled surface of a door. With the fake woodgrain on most interior "pressed" doors, brushing with the grain helps blend it in better. Even on a smooth door, like steel doors, I brush it out the same way and the slight brush marks make their own "wood grain" look. Being carefull to brush out the panels so the brush marks intersect at all the right places as you would see on a real wood door or on the fake ones.

When rolling doors first I don't roll carefully as though it was the final finish. Just use the roller to quickly "slap" the paint on then brush it out. Saves a ton of time over doing it all by brush alone. When working with oil I'll roll the top half of door first then brush it out then move on to bottom half. When working with acrylic I may have to do it in quarters so I don't run into paint that has started to set before the brush gets to it. Depending on temperatures.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 03:30:54 PM »
The fabric covers are popping up all over now. I ordered a couple from wooster (incl a 12"!) that I have yet to try, but the dude says they don't compress like a superfab .  And work better with the new acrylics ( read Aura) .

Any news from the front line?
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 08:13:38 PM »
I just tried my first gallon of Aura and used the Aura sleeve they recommend.  The sleeve was 3/8" and seemed to function just like the Pro Dooz I normally use.  What is supposed to be special about those Aura sleeves exactly?

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 08:34:12 PM »
I almost always use 3/8" covers for walls and 1/2" for ceilings. As for the 3/4" we only use it for old rough walls or stucco. By the way, we never wash roller covers. It takes so much time to get them really clean and once washed the finish is not as good as using a new roller.
 ;)
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline Stever

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »
By the way, we never wash roller covers. It takes so much time to get them really clean and once washed the finish is not as good as using a new roller.

I, and i've heard others on here say, that roller sleeves get better with age. I find after a wash or 2 they perform much better. But sometimes i dont feel like washing so they stay wrapped in plastic and sometimes stay there too long and need to be chucked. Oh well.

Plastic grocery bags are my preferred roller wrappers. Perfect size and I have no shortage of them.

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »

Plastic grocery bags are my preferred roller wrappers. Perfect size and I have no shortage of them.

I use Glad plastic roll and keep the roller for a few days in case we need to touch up and after that no more use.
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!