Author Topic: Roller cover nap length????????  (Read 55836 times)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Roller cover nap length????????
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 10:05:02 PM »
I almost always use 3/8" covers for walls and 1/2" for ceilings. As for the 3/4" we only use it for old rough walls or stucco. By the way, we never wash roller covers. It takes so much time to get them really clean and once washed the finish is not as good as using a new roller.
 ;)

If I had to clean covers with a water hose I'd chunk em to...  :-\  I found this really cheap gizmo many years ago, fits a standard water faucet, forces water through a slot inside the ring so paint can't run from it,..insert the cover through it ( as many times as necessary). Cleans up to 3/4" naps.

I have one of these attached to a faucet over my deep well shop sink, you can clean ALL the paint from a cover in about a minute or so ...

rmichael

Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 06:20:33 AM »
If I had to clean covers with a water hose I'd chunk em to...  :-\  I found this really cheap gizmo many years ago, fits a standard water faucet, forces water through a slot inside the ring so paint can't run from it,..insert the cover through it ( as many times as necessary). Cleans up to 3/4" naps.

I have one of these attached to a faucet over my deep well shop sink, you can clean ALL the paint from a cover in about a minute or so ...

rmichael

Michael, Maybe I'll try that, if I can find one. It can save me a lot of money over time.

Thannks
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 07:00:05 AM »
Something else that you will pickup with experience is the difference of sound when applying the paint to the wall, I always use the 3/8 wooster superfab, and I'm so use to it that I know what sound it makes with the sleeve full of paint and when it's drying out, I'm sure you guy's hear it also, but this helps me to determine when to back roll into the covered area and redip the roller....

As far as cleaning the covers I just can't afford to waste the time, I include it in the cost of materials in the estimate and buy new ones.

:)

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
I use something like a SuperFab with flats 1/2" and all paints with sheen I use Prodooz 3/8" as if there were no other choice.

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 12:48:05 PM »
When I was painting for the contractor that did new construction we always used the big ol' 1-1/4's.  I went down to 3/4" and occasionally use 1/2" for my work.  I have never had a complaint about the finished look of my walls yet.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »
I use to Purdy Pro roller system.  The larger circumference of the roller allows it to hold more paint.  I use 3/8" to 1" depending on the situation.  3/8" on new walls with a good finish.  If the dry-waller was mediocre, a 1/2" may be used in the effort to hide blemishes.  Same holds true for new ceilings, depends on the dry-waller.
Best,<br />Marion

Offline Billy The Painter

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »
Time is money right .I don't mess with cleaning rollers I tap them off when I'm done and start with new.It's hard enough keeping up with cleaning brushes.I usually end up with a half dozen by end of day
I use Wooster supper-dooz 3/8 on smooth 1/2 on ceilings.
on flat white I use allot I tap cover off in bottom of 5 gal bucket same with primer cover and keep reusing lasts for as long as 6mos or so.
Also if ya know person that delivers news papers those little bags they use work great for keeping covers in between coats got a bunch in my trailer.

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »
I used to knock my covers off into the bucket when I was painting for the builder.  I rarely do it anymore unless I am on a big job where I'm going to be in the same paint for a while.  Good idea on the newspaper bags.  Bags come in handy.  I save a lot of the smaller shopping bags you'd get from wal-mart and put them over cut pots and pots with smaller rollers in them overnight, and put a damp rag over that to kind of help make it as air tight as I can.  I also use the bigger trash bags, like the 13 gal size over my 5 gal buckets.

Offline reveti

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »
i use 3/8 for slick finish satin/ eggshell wallls, 1/2 for everything else.
lambwool usually wooster, purdy or shurline brands.
I have also worked with some foam cigar rollers for fine slick finishes like doors when you cant spray 'em
I\\\'m a firm believer that if the other side scores first you have to score twice to win.\\\"

anything