Author Topic: Do you prime older painted plaster walls?  (Read 50402 times)

Offline Tubs

Do you prime older painted plaster walls?
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:51:17 PM »
I was on a tub refinish job on a flip house. The head painter was a big shot and loved to brag to everyone else on the job who would listen how he was the man when it came to painting.

I noticed they were painting many finish coats, up to four coats on some walls. I asked him if he primed the walls. He said you never ever prime plaster walls.

Is this true? What is the proper protocol for preparing painted plaster walls for finish coats.

Jared

Re: Do you prime older painted plaster walls?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:21:31 AM »
I disagree with your friend.

I ALWAYS prime old plaster walls which have not been painted in quite some time - especially if the old paint was a flat.  Plaster surfaces will become porous over time in this situation, and thus will suck up the first few coats like a sponge - and to get a consistent sheen will either require many coats of finish paint, or a really good prime/seal job before the standard paint job of 2 coats.

Offline Tubs

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:34:28 AM »
I agree with what you are saying, he made it sound like primers would ruin the process.

Would you recommend oil base primeres on this scenario or is a latex primer acceptable when using a latex finish coat?

Jared

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
I'd use a high-end acrylic primer for old plaster.  I have had great results using either Zinsser 1-2-3 or Gripper.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:12:24 PM by Jared »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:44:25 PM »
WOW, applying four coats of finish is never a good thing, if he had used an acrylic primer/sealer two coats of finish would have done the trick, and I bet the walls would have had a much better appearance.

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:36:40 PM »
I noticed they were painting many finish coats, up to four coats on some walls. I asked him if he primed the walls. He said you never ever prime plaster walls.

Listen to rmike and jared....prime with 123 and a couple coats should do it. You didn't say what color it was they're using. If it was a clear dark red or yellow, maybe green, it might take an extra coat or two. But if those type colors where used, he defiantly should have primed. I'll stop rambling.....he should have primed the walls. Most paint failures can be traced back to the primer/prep stage of the job. You may have just seen a future paint failure happen.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:57:42 PM by lackamoola »
It ain't easy being cheesy

Jared

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 05:43:26 PM »
WOW, applying four coats of finish is never a good thing, if he had used an acrylic primer/sealer two coats of finish would have done the trick

Now, this got me thinking, and I realized that it is possible that your walls were sealed just fine, but he used a designer paint - even after priming, designer paints can take many coats to achieve coverage, depending on certain factors.

But I tend to believe those walls were, in fact, too porous to apply finish paint.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »
Don't know jared... but if he has to apply four coats on sealed walls to achieve passable coverage, IMO he needs to change paints because the designer must have replaced the paint's titanium dioxide with his signature    :D  .... but I'm not talking depth for faux.... and of course a gray primer applies for deep reds...    ;) 

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:41:34 PM »
loved to brag to everyone else on the job who would listen how he was the man when it came to painting.
That right there would tell me he is full of 5hit. Was he trying to convince himself, or everyone else?

I agree with the others above. Primers should be chosen for each specific substrate/finish combination. Everything depends on everything else.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
the designer must have replaced the paint's titanium dioxide with his signature    :D  .... 

hehe.  ...RL?...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Tubs

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:33:20 PM »
The walls were all bright reds and purples and he was painting them off white and there was allot of bleed through until he got to the fourth coat. I think the paint was SW Master Hide which I believe is a contractors grade paint. I was just taken back in how he reacted when I asked him why he did not prime. He made it sound like priming a plaster wall was a painting felony.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:44:13 PM »
The walls were all bright reds and purples and he was painting them off white and there was allot of bleed through until he got to the fourth coat. I think the paint was SW Master Hide which I believe is a contractors grade paint. I was just taken back in how he reacted when I asked him why he did not prime. He made it sound like priming a plaster wall was a painting felony.

He definitely should have hit em with a primer/sealer first,..  Zinsser 123 would have worked wonders, even with the cheap finish paint....  ;)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:43 PM »
Even after 4 coats there is probably still bleed through with those dark colors. It's always best to prime over dark colors no matter what the walls are, plaster. sheetrock, etc.

Some body please stop this guy from painting.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline jeffbutler

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:15 PM »
I don't know where your friends gets that idea, regardless of it, it can always use primer, which this solution varies on its type depending on your wall textures and what it's made of. Just like I did for my exterior walls, base coat and a tinted primer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:24:04 PM by jeffbutler »

Offline jpacelt

• Florence Painting Contractors
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »
I agree prime is always needed when painting old surfaces especially flat or anything that might be porous.
Primer is cheaper and will save you some time in extra coats right?

florencepaintpros.com

anything