Author Topic: Latex semi on six paneled door  (Read 5889 times)

Offline D. Berry

Latex semi on six paneled door
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »
I have a friend that is going to use PGH semi-gloss on six paneled doors.  I've don't use PGH because it is not available except in the next town.   I always use oil for doors.  Does anyone have good results using latex on doors?  This fellow is not a painter.  He doesn't want to use oil.  I suggested a primer over the existing oil after washing the surface.  I also suggested an extender.  I use a 4 in. Whizz and then back brush, but I'm not sure he can handle that.  I'm also not thinking back brushing since the latex may set up on him too quickly.  I will suggest the correct sequence for painting the door.  Do you think he will be better off just brushing, or maybe just rolling and leaving a little stipple.  He's not super particular.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:28:57 PM by D. Berry »

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: Latex semi on six paneled door
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:00:29 AM »
We only use latex on trim nowadays. Haven't used any oil (except for particular/application specific prime jobs) in years. The new waterborne type paints can give 99% replica of an oil finish. We use BM Waterborne Satin Impervo.

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
I have used SW waterborne products, but have never used them on a six paneled door.  I've never tried BM; I hear it is rather thin and difficult to work with.  All that is beside the point.  This guy has already purchased the PGH to use, so I wondering what is the best direction for him to go?  Do you roll and backbrush your doors with the waterborne, or what do you do?

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
Sorry if you read my original post and thought it confusing.  I reread it and it was confusing, so edited it.  I hope it makes a little more sense now.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:27:59 PM »
Your asking what he can do, and it is hard to know how good he is. I would say use the door technique but just use a brush. Do each element on it's own. Pretty good descriptions in the panel door thread.

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,2159.0.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:41:57 PM by BrushJockey »
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,2159.0.html
Thanks! You beat me to it.  :)

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »
Good thread on painting doors.  I think I'll suggest he just brush it.  I don't think he could handle a brush and roller with latex.  Thanks.