Author Topic: Re: painters whites  (Read 52825 times)

Offline TomTom

Re: painters whites
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2007, 02:19:38 AM »
Well I don't think you can fairly compare a policemans uniform to that of a painter wearing whites. But anyway, the main reason I stopped wearing painters white paints was the shear un-comfort of them. Uggh! So I wear second-hand khaki's which are way more comfortable and have a double bonus of being much cheaper. Five or six bucks for something I'm comfortable in all day is far more important than a so called uniform in my opinion, and khaki's are only slightly off-white anyway. I could care less whether the plumber I call wears a three piece suit and tie or a pair of cut-off denim shorts and pink silk vest. If he does what I need and does it well that's all that matters. Same with a painter - he may well wear whites but if can't paint it doesn't mean anything. If painters whites were as comfortable as the khakis I would probably wear the whites as I do agree that there is a judgement factor by people on appearances, but the whites are awful (and obviously wouldn't be as cheap as my second-hand khakis!). Just my view, that's all.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
The public perception of professional painters wearing "whites" has become so prevalent that it has become a Trademark .... John Q Public sez... "They are wearing white so they must be pros."

I absolutely respect the fact that anybody can wear anything they like or feel comfortable in, and it certainly does NOT dictate the quality of their work, but it is just a fact that the public, and many in the profession, have this strong perception based on a very long tradition of professional painters wearing "whites".

If you are driving through the neighborhood and see a crew in paint splattered blue jeans, you think novice or newbies, if they are wearing whites, you think pros... As was pointed out earlier in this thread, we didn't make the rule... but that's the way it is....

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 12:02:14 PM »
The public perception of professional painters wearing "whites" has become so prevalent that it has become a Trademark .... John Q Public sez... "They are wearing white so they must be pros."

I absolutely respect the fact that anybody can wear anything they like or feel comfortable in, and it certainly does NOT dictate the quality of their work, but it is just a fact that the public, and many in the profession, have this strong perception based on a very long tradition of professional painters wearing "whites".

If you are driving through the neighborhood and see a crew in paint splattered blue jeans, you think novice or newbies, if they are wearing whites, you think pros... As was pointed out earlier in this thread, we didn't make the rule... but that's the way it is....

rmichael
Very well put. I too can't wait to shuck the whites, and throw on some jeans, but that only happens after work. The whites are a must in my company; they are a part of the uniform.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
kahkis work well for me. At one point Levi's made their 501 button fly jeans in white. I did buy a pair of those just for painting. Supper cumfy and lasted a long time. But alas white jeans was a short lived trend available at typical jean stores.

I've only ever worn one pair of whites. I thoroughly hated them. The way their cut makes for a sh!ty fit and the fabric (Dickies) felt like crap against my legs. YuK!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 05:37:30 PM »
I think one thing that is almost a trend about this, is that if you have or are in a crew, the "look" is more an issue than the lone painter. I have worn whites for most my career, but have switched to as close to white cargo pants or carp pants the last few years also for comfort. The lone painter has a relationship with the client that is much more personal, and I think that is where the image , as long as professional in appearance and attitude, has more leeway.
I think.
 ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
I wore whites when I was union cause......you have to! The union color coded us all to make sure we were not taking work away from the other trades. Like cleaning up the area....that was laborers pay check. When I went on my own, wore whites for a while then noticed that most crews with whites were just wearing them to look like a painter! My thought is if you are a pro, with a crew, whites may be the way, at least to look like a team or one company, but as a loner, my clients want what I know and know how to do, not what I wear. I do use rags though, not my pants.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
Agreed! Being a lone gun vs. a painting crew makes a huge difference with wearing whites for the image it portrays.

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
That may be it "the lone painter theory".  ;D

I am not a lone painter though. I have a partner and three employees. And not one of us wear whites. None of which wear blue jeans, mostly light colored khakis/cargo's like me. I guess thats our uniform.

I thought of you guys today when I was at target buying some work pants  ;D

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »
Thinking of us while you were shopping. LOL......

I didnt mean that if you were not a one man show that whites were in, but that its a professional look for the crew......even if its jeans and a company t shirt. What ever works. The one thing about whites for me that I think is Unprofessional looking is when the whites have 2 years of colors (10,000) spots of paint cause they dont use rags.

Whites have been traditionally the pro uniform but today its the summer school teacher, the station wagon guy with a ladder, guys here illegally, and more. No matter what they wear, theres someone giving the paint pro a bad name because of there lack of knowledge in the coatings field.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »
I've worn whites every day of work since I started in this trade, barring the rare day when I was powerwashing all day and had my rain gear on...The customers definitely notice the uniform...My sometimes partner wears sweats, an old sweatshirt and crocs...The customers definitely notice that uniform too...

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »
Most of our clients remark how clean & professional we look in our whites. Of course we use paint rags & not our pants  to wipe our hands. Nothing looks worse than painter whites stiff as a board from painted hands or caulking. We had a guy working for us once that always had a towel in his back pocket, but never used it to wipe his hands or any paint drips. Everyting went on the paints or shirt. Needless to say he didn't work for us long.

Painting white are just like any other over head costs. We go through a lot, but they are tax deductable.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
"the good guys always wear white, pilgrim"   ;)

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
Ditto on the professional look, but if a person has plenty of work I guess his/her reputation speaks for itself.  A person can dress the part and be a terrible painter.   I never wear anything but whites.  I really don't find them uncomfortable.  I usually get them from SW on sale. 

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 10:24:14 PM »
I wear modern military cargo style white/light gray low contrast camo that look off-white from a distance. Not sure if im going to go bid in them...  :)

My

5-in-1        right back pocket
dust brush  left back pocket
razor          right front
cell and smokes(until tomorrow, quitting) right front lower
multi bit light weight screwdriver and pen   left front lower

These are what i really want, just in off-white
http://www.triple5soul.com/shop/style.asp?Style=MFL-3225&Rec=27808&Category=4
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 10:30:01 PM »
These are what i really want, just in off-white
http://www.triple5soul.com/shop/style.asp?Style=MFL-3225&Rec=27808&Category=4

Hey Chip, I'm not sure I'd be going to work in pair of pants that cost $114! Maybe you are in a whole different league of painting and you can afford that. Me, I just bought a pair of off-white pants at Goodwill this weekend. Cost me $4.99. They have side pockets too  ;D