Author Topic: Re: painters whites  (Read 52815 times)

Offline Chip McCheckellson

Re: painters whites
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:04 AM »
lol, i meant i'd like a pair like those.  :)
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline Hixon Painting

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 05:32:56 PM »
I've been wearing blue jeans and white t-shirts for about 13 years now and would never go back to painter garb. I always found it uncomfortable, less durable, and ugly.

My workers have always worn painter whites, but not because I require them too. To each his own I guess  ::)

Offline donwizkid

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
Old Navy Painters pants are loos fit, durable, comfortable and affordable. 

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2007, 01:12:38 AM »
I am glad that I am not the only one that does not like wearing whites.  I bought a pair of short whites a couple of years ago for the summer, but they were so uncomfortable.  I bought another pair a few sizes bigger and kept them up with my belt, but they were still uncomfortable.  Later I tried the regular whites for 3 days and then stopped wearing them.  I went back to what I always wore, blue jeans.  I don't buy brand new jeans purposely.  I wait until a regular pair I have begins to wear enough or they get a very noticeable stain on them that I don't want to wear them for anything other than working.  Plain and simple they are more comfortable than ANY "work" pant I have ever tried and I have been through many.  If a potential customer decides to pass on my bid because I was not wearing whites for a painter that is then they have issues.  As stated before, who is to say that the guy in whites is going to do a better job?  Make no mistake, by the time I do get a "new" pair of jeans my old ones can pass for a color palette.  I tried keeping rags, but I'd always forget it across the room, or it'd fall out.  My shirt and pants work fine.  They cost money, but so do rags.  And as far as someone passing by and seeing me in my jeans painting outside - why care so much?  The job you do will tell a better tale than the clothes you chose to wear.
Also for the loop - oftentimes not just painters wear whites.  Drywallers do too, and the loops is handy for a drywall hammer.  I do both - so I like having the loop there.  I intend to buy overalls very soon, I'm tired of belts and pulling my pants up.....even with a belt.

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 06:03:08 PM »
I don't know where else this company is located but a couple of the BM stores by me sell them.  The company is called Keystone Workwear and they sell pants in two different colors - natural(off white) and white.  They have double knees which are actually quit comfortable.  They are so baggy when I first purchased them that I have to wash and dry them so that they would shrink.  And they're not even that expensive, I think I pay somewhere around $14.00 a pair.  I found out about them 2 years ago and I still have the same paints.  They also sell shorts in the same color and fabric.  Oh yeah, I live in New Jersey.
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
i like to wear white overalls like these They're very comfortable and have foam knee inserts for kneeling etc.. The ones I wear have zip up front and zip pockets so you don't drop your phone in the paint ::)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
Hey Phil, are you killing a fly on that wall....  :D  ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Bushman

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »
Hey everybody. I've been reading some of the threads here off and on for a few days. Pretty cool getting to "listen" to the thoughts and experiences of some fellow painters.

As for whites...over the years i've had many people ask me, "why do painters wear white?". I didn't really have an answer, so I gave it some thought. Best I could come up with is that it identifies who you are. I mean, if the next door neighbor looks over to see some guy peeking in windows, or walking through someone's bedroom, they see the whites and quickly come to the conclusion, "Oh, it's just the painter". Also, I guess, if you happen to get paint on your clothes, no matter what color the paint is, it's very unlikely that it clashes with the "color" white. :P

I do have one pair of khaki shorts I wear. Other than that, it's always whites. Like some have said, it adds a professional touch. At the end of the summer all my whites were shot from the exterior work. So, in the fall I bought a few pairs of fresh whites. I also bought a new red pull-over hooded sweat jacket/shirt. I gotta say, it was a sharp look.

My whites stay fairly free of paint these days after I started to use a rag more often. I suppose the worst place you can get paint is on your a$$ from backing into a painted surface...now that doesn't exactly scream proffessionalism.

I'm having a heluva time with what I thought was going to be a new client. It's a long story, but I will at some point add it to the appropriate thread.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
Bushman,

I think it's a Traditional thing....  ;)
www.painterforum.com/white.html

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline reveti

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Our local sherwin williams sells the dickies painter pants here fo 11 bucks a pair (they have the sw logo on the pocket), there not bad, gotta lot of pockets and well, i dont think you can get a pair of pants at walmart for that price
I\\\'m a firm believer that if the other side scores first you have to score twice to win.\\\"

Offline rex

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »
hello.........newbie here.   :)  I've been wearing whites for 26 years and am so much in the habit that I dont think I'l ever change.  My grandfather(who started our family business in 1928) always insisted on white pants and a white Tee shirt.  He was very strict with this and never deviated in all the years that he ran the business.  My father has since taken over(around 1986) and has followed the same dress code ever since.  Now it is just my dad and I working, and we still wear whites every day.  Actually we were never allowed to wear shorts all those years( back in the day my grandfather employed up to 8 men), until recently I talked my dad into it. Now I love it!  Shorts are great  when its 90 degrees out, except when you gotta work around alot of large shrubs.  My legs get really scraped up from crawling around behind those damn bushes >:( I get my whites at MAB paints for around $15 a pair,  Stan Ray brand.   I used to get them at Sears until they stopped selling them.  For a couple years Sears had a one year guarantee on their painters pants. I would wear them out after 6 months and take them back for another free pair!  Good deal  while it lasted.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »
My wife and I wear painter whites when on the job.  It's a tradition/pride thing.  And we try to insure that they are clean and bright at the beginning of the day.  We get comments all the time like, "I can't believe how clean you guys stay!  If I were painting, I'd have it all over me and everything else."  If we get paint splotches on them we take "Goof" and a brush to them before throwing them in the wash.  And, as stated earlier in the thread, Carhartt makes good quaility and comfortable paint clothes.
Best,<br />Marion

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 10:37:37 PM »
FYI My Carhartt dealer told me they are discontinuing their Whites...I thing I will switch to Big Ben Brand.  They are very durable.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »
WALL-PRO PAINTER, I hope your distributor is wrong.  I ordered a couple pair, last week, from www.dungarees.net.  This morning I checked Carhartt's web site and they still list them.  My fingers are crossed.
Best,<br />Marion

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
Another maker of good painter clothes is Pointer Brand.  The factory is less than 10 miles from my house.  I'll give them a try some day, especially if Carhartt does actually discontinue theirs.

https://www.pointerbrand.com/Default.asp

Best,<br />Marion